• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scored a Doe during ML season with my 72cal Kodiak!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Smokehousemen here is what our reg’s state:

Pg. 30 and 43 of Pa’s Hunting&Trapping Digest
Reg’s for July 1, 2009 ”“ June 30, 2010

PA’s Deer and Bear regular seasons:

“ 2) muzzle loading long guns of any type, 44 caliber or larger, or a muzzle loading handgun 50 caliber or larger”

Dixie Flinter,
After proofing my gun, I started from 70grs ffGOEX and shot groups to 110grs, than ran I out of ffGOEX. I switched to fffGOEX and I did a little more proofing. I settled on a load of 110grs fffGOEX. The load is safe in my gun but might not be in yours! I am shooting a .690RB, which is a little small for the gun. Reading other posts, I think it would shoot better with a .715.
I am using two patches, a .022 & .013; moose snot, to make up for the smaller diameter RB. The gun will shoot 1” to 2 ½”groups at 50yds, that is a two shot string of the left and right bbl”¦.they are regulated very well. I shot the load over a chronograph and it was averaging 1,126fps. I managed to hit a metal rod that holds up the sky screen with a patch and it bent it like a pretzel. I am VERY pleased with the accuracy. The .690RB’s weigh appx: 494grs PL. I believe that the .715’s RB PL would weigh around 550grs, but I'm not sure.

Zoar,
I will post a few more pic’s as soon as I get a chance to up-load them.

Dan,
I will send you a few pics.

Good Hunting
.690RB

690RB YOU WERENT HUNTING IN REGULAR SEASON LOOK ON PAGE 43 UNDER OCTOBER ANTLERLESS SEASON REGS SAYS ANY SINGLE BARREL MUZZLELOADER . HATE TO SEE YOU GET FINED FOR A MISUNDERSTANDING

bubba15301,
smokehouseman asked me if it was legal to use a ML DURING “REGULAR” SEASON:

“Do your state regulations prohibit you from hunting with a ML during the regular season?”

By him asking if a ML was allowed in the regular season, I assumed he was asking about
PA’s Deer and Bear regular seasons for which I provide him the correct info!

He did not ask for the Reg’s for the ML SEASON.

Had he asked for the Reg’s for the ML SEASON I would have provided this info:

Pg. 30 and 43 of Pa’s Hunting&Trapping Digest
Reg’s for July 1, 2009 ”“ June 30, 2010

Muzzleloader Seasons: October Antlerless Deer Season-Any single-barrel muzzleloading longun with a flintlock, in-line or percussion ignition 44 caliber or larger, or 50cal or larger handgun. Scope sights permitted.

Late Flintlock Season- Flintlock ignition: Single-barrel long guns manufactured prior to 1800, or a similar reproduction of an original muzzleloading single-barrel long gun 44 caliber or larger, or a 50 caliber or larger handgun, using a single projectile. It is unlawful to use telescopic sights. Late season flintlock hunters are permitted to take an antlered deer or antlerless deer anywhere in the state with their unused antlered deer tag.

Thanks for your concern
.690RB

A pic of the entrance.
PA180015.jpg

A pic of the exit.
PA180016.jpg

RB’s never cease to amaze me how well the take down game!

"RB’s never cease to amaze me how well the take down game!"

Yep - they do the job. :thumbsup:

Dixie Flinter,
I also use a card wad over the powder followed by a wonder wad or a felt plug lubed with moose snot.
The patches come out looking like could re-use them.

.690RB

MAN that big roundball does the trick :grin:

Great job, thanks for posting.

:hatsoff:
Spot

bubba15301 said:
so .690rb you broke the law on purpose then?instead of by a mistake?

I think this part of the discussion is moot and should not be debated here anymore.
Give it a rest and be happy 690rb was able to harvest a deer for his famley during these troubled times.
Hell he diden't even need or use the second barrel :grin:

Greenmtnboy said:
Hell he diden't even need or use the second barrel :grin:

That's because he was shooting a cannon! :grin:

I'm just jealous. I thought my .62 was pretty big.

Good job!

We'll assume it wasn't in PA or wasn't their m/l season . . .

Because:

141.43 of the PA Code - Deer Hunting
(b) Flintlock muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the flintlock muzzleloading deer season with a flintlock muzzleloading firearm. The firearm must be an original or similar reproduction of muzzleloading firearm manufactured prior to 1800. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a hammer containing a naturally occurring stone that is spring propelled onto an iron or steel frizzen which, in turn, creates sparks to ignite a priming powder. The firearm must have open sights and be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

(c) Muzzleloading deer season.

(1) Permitted devices. It is lawful to hunt deer during the muzzleloading deer season with a muzzleloading firearm. The firearm’s ignition mechanism must consist of a percussion cap, primer or flintlock fired design. The firearm must be a .44 caliber or larger single-barrel long gun or a .50 caliber or larger single-barrel handgun that propels single-projectile ammunition.

690, nice shot on that doe. I’ve been shooting round balls out of my Pedersoli 12 gauge muzzle loader with pretty good accuracy considering that it is a smoothbore shotgun. I wouldn’t hesitate taking a shot with it at a deer at around 25 yards (which is pretty much the only shots I get where I like to hunt anyway). The Pedersoli is a light gun, weight wise, as compared to my muzzle loading rifles and it points really well also. I really like the look of the hammer double rifles. Much nicer than those modern in-line abominations!

Jack

Chokecreek Jack said:
690, nice shot on that doe. I’ve been shooting round balls out of my Pedersoli 12 gauge muzzle loader with pretty good accuracy considering that it is a smoothbore shotgun. I wouldn’t hesitate taking a shot with it at a deer at around 25 yards (which is pretty much the only shots I get where I like to hunt anyway). The Pedersoli is a light gun, weight wise, as compared to my muzzle loading rifles and it points really well also. I really like the look of the hammer double rifles. Much nicer than those modern in-line abominations!

Jack

Trust me Jack a .715 ball is bad medicine on deer too. :grin:

Jack,
I would agree with Swampy,

“Trust me Jack a .715 ball is bad medicine on deer too.” and probably bad medicine for any other animal for that matter”¦

I'm sure the Kodiak would do better with a .715RB. I am going to do some load testing/development with the .715 ball (after I buy a mold and hunting season is over). I could have just as easily used one of my other Percussion or flint ML’s but like you I really appreciate the way the gun points. The gun seems HVY until you actually pick it up, point it and shoot it. For me, recoil is almost none existent with my loads. I have never been so impressed with the form/fit/feel of a gun. Different strokes for different folks”¦ I like this ML alot. :grin:
What size RB are you shooting, you didn’t say? .685.690.715.....?

.690RB

I’m using a .690 ball from the Lee mold. I use 60 grains of 3f behind a lubed patched ball with no wad. My lube is pretty stiff, 50% beeswax and 50% mineral oil.

Jack

Jack,

I bought a Pedersoli 12 SxS smoothbore (new/never fired) a while back that I believe it was manufactured from the early to mid 70’s. I don’t think it weighs 6 lbs and is absolutely beautiful. When I checked Pedersoli’s web site, it looks like the lightest 12 SxS ML SB they manufacture today is 7.05lbs??? I was about to start shooting it when I picked up my Cabelas Version of the 72cal Kodiak. I haven’t had the opportunity to shoot the Pedersoli 12 SxS smoothbore yet and I probably wont until small game season is over. I will be using my .32cal Crockett for small game. The Pedersoli 12 SxS smoothbore is lighter than my Sikligar 12ga Double Smoothbore and probably the Crockett!

.690RB

Back