• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scoring center or edge of ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexiKan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
On paper targets, our club uses the "center of ball" rule to determine if a hit is in one scoring ring or another.(one half must be in the scoring area) I've noticed other clubs use the "edge of ball"--as long as hole cuts the next ring, the higher score is given.

I am curious as to how many clubs follow the NMLRA "center of ball" rule compared to the other? Sometimes it is a concern for competitiors from other regions.

TexiKan

TexiKan said:
".....Sometimes it is a concern for competitiors from other regions....."

I don't shoot in competitions but am curious about the 'concern'...as long as everyone in any event is scored exactly the same way, there wouldn't be any difference would there?
:confused:

Edge-of-ball gives the cannon calibers an edge, as it were. Us .40 shooters like getting on an even field with the center-of-ball rule.

This month's forum shoot might be an exception to that, eh? The smaller calibers can sneak right up in that corner without breaking the edge... if I could shoot that straight! :grin:

Proper scoring by counting the highest ring cut will encourage folks to shoot hunting rifles and muskets instead of pea shooters.

NMLRA regs use center of ball. This is because the larger diameter bores otherwise would have an advantage. This is one reason why you see so many .40 cal guns in competition shooting.

Both of the clubs where I have shot also used center of ball.

CS

The French Broad Rifles of Madison County, NC score center of ball..Hank

Most of the Clubs I've shot at ust the cut ring scoring method as its easier to tally quickly. These are usually informal shoots and not a whole lot to win or loose other than braggin' rights and theres enough braggin' goin' on anyways. :haha:

I posed the question because some shooters have questioned the scoring. Sometimes the reason the scores differ is because the shooter is used to the edge of the ball method instead of the center of the ball scoring. It has led to some anxious moments.

I was curious as to the number of clubs who prefer the edge of the ball scoring. If they are an NMLRA club, shouldn't they be using the center of ball scoring?

TexiKan

Back when I was shooting a lot of competition it seemed that any club who was NMLRA affiliated and/or had aspiring shooters always used "center of the ball".
The informal and non affiliated clubs often used the edge of the ball because that was the way centerfires and pistols were scored and most of them knew no other way. Plus it cut down on confusion.
The first big shoot I attended did cause me some consternation as I prescored my target and came up with a lot higher score then the officials did. I had never heard of scoring by "center of the ball" and I was shooting a .54. After that wakeup call I always inquired going in about the scoring rules so there would be no surprises later.
The center of the ball scoring does favor the best shots and gives all calibers an equal chance.

Susquehanna Powderhorns in York Pa a NMLRA club uses center of ball. Us pea shooters .40 cal like it that way, as it better shows a man's skill and ability. "We don't need no stinking cannon ball to win" :grin:

Latest posts

Back