• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scrimshaw tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Robertson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen some nice scimming here on the forum, and I know each person has his own preference as to what tools he uses. However, since I'm just getting started at my first srim project, I wonder if some of those fellas, and/or gals, wouldn't mind sharing what type of tools they use to do their scrimshaw work.
Thanks.
Don

Here's what I use 90% of the time. On occasion I will use a #11 X-acto knife for really fine shading.
66K115.jpg

A pointed scalpel blade and a carbide scribe also work well,as does the Exacto knife blade.

For me, blades and cutters don't work well for curved lines. They skate on me. I know, it's the operator.

I find that a very stiff but finely pointed scriber works best all around for me. I use a large masonry nail ground and polished to a needle tip at the end. I wrap the nail with a few rubber bands to cushion it, hold it like a pencil, and go at it. This scrapes more than cuts the design.

A friend of mine who happens to be a world champion wood carver gave me a dentists drill and some very fine bits. It works great for scrim. You have to develop a very delicate feel or you'll go right thru a horn. Takes a little getting used to when the compressor kicks on.

Latest posts

Back