• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SE Tn Turkey

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majg1234

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well guys/Gals "Mz Maureen" struck again.The bird is not such a large bird but hey it is a turkey.The hunt began around 1400hrs EDT.I had a lot of stuff around the house to do along with a visit to the scrap yard looking for lead.I ended up with 150lbs of part WW and mostly pure lead.Anyway after about 1 hr of calling 2-3 times,not hearing any gobbling I decided to move.I walked up an ATV trail about 200yrds to another small field with clover and I see this bird in the edge.He was about 60yrd away not too good for "Mz Maureen".Well I noticed that the bird was picking clover and if I stayed on the edge of the trail I would be shielded from view(I hoped).I proceeded to walk verrrry slowly.One step @ a time easy does it.I even considered a "low crawl" but the saw briars changed my mind. Toward the end I was able to keep a small pine between the bird and me.When I'd gotten about 25 yards from the bird I started looking for a place to shoot through.I only had one opening about 2-3 feet across but the bird was behind a bunch of brush by now.I stood and waited for what seemed to be forever then the bird looked directly @ me.I new it was all over 'cause I figured he would step into the brush and be gone!!!!Well guess what he turned to get into the trail and passed through the opening,"Mz Maureen"spoke and through the smoke I saw the Turkey go down.Immediately to the Lt I saw another one break down the trail running for his life, but "Mz Maureen" is a Carolina fowler so only one shot :( Anyway the 1& 7/8 ounces of 4 and 6 shot over 110gr Goex Ffg did the trick at a measured 23yrds. I collected a 15lb Jake with 5" beard and Nubbin spurs.On the way home I saw his BIG brother.....We'll be out again in the AM
IMAG0105_zps610101ee.jpg

Great hunt, nice bird :hatsoff: Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to a N. Fla. turkey hunt with the .36 flinter in a few weeks...

Thanks wish we could use a rifle here. have a Southern MTN gun in 40 cal that I would love to try and would have made this hunt not quite as dramatic.No rifles in Tn though :bull:

Nice Bird Nice Fowler! Congrats!
Turkeys and flintlocks go together...Good luck with your next tag..
Just over 2 weeks away for me...Keep the pic's coming...dan

Congrats on a good hunt!

I think you may be the first bird posted.

Greg

Thanks all,the fowler is a 20g/62cal bought here a couple of years ago.It is from the mississipi school of builders :wink: (Bobby Chambers).It shoots PRB really well too just haven't been able to get one close enough yet.I'm taking the AM off to do some more "honey do's then back out for the evening.I'm camping the rest of the week.we are allowed 4 birds here in Tn so here's hoping!!!!RB thanks on your tip re permitherin saved me a bundle of $$ and nary a tick....Yet :grin:

Go get'em...hope you fill all 4 tags !
:thumbsup:

I still have 10 days and a wake up here.
Went back to the range yesterday with the 28ga Early Virginia smoothbore to "check-zero" out of a clean, cold barrel.
Turned out to be one of those trips where you can just about close your eyes and the balls still find their way into the bullseye.
5 shots were all cutting each other like a "5 leaf clover"...1+1/8" group @ 30yds from a seated hunting position...packed up and came back to the house.
If I don't tag one during "Project 2013: PRB Turkey", it sure won't be for lack of planning, LOL

Excellent! Congratulations. It's really nice to see new game pictures being posted again!

You guys in states with long turkey seasons and multiple-turkey bag limits really have it nice! I get 5 days and the limit is one Tom. I start April 27. With a lot of snow on the ground yet, I'm glad I don't have the first season here.

:thumbsup:
Congratulations!

A nice story, fowler and bird!

Silex

I love to read those Turkey stories!

Boy did I goof guys...reading the posts again and it is a Bobby Christian gun not Bobby Chambers sheeesh!!!! blame that mistake on Mr Daniels (Jack) :redface: :doh:

Latest posts

Back