• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

second deer down with pedersoli swivel gun and PRB !!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
well i had to go to an eagle scout ceremony and i didnt get back home until 4:30 in the afternoon. it was the last day of ohios extended gun season and the swivel gun was still loaded from yesterdays hunt. i decided i mideswell go out for a little while. i decided to hunt close to the house sense i didnt have time to drive to one of my other hunting spots. i jumped in the mini truck and drove up behind my grandmas house. i walked about 100 yards along our corn field when i looked into the neighbors apple orchard and saw 2 deer feeding there 200 yards away. i snuck into the woodline and tried stalking closer. i dont have permission to hunt the neighbors so i was hoping they might go into our cornfield. as i snuck closer i saw that one deer was very large and was probably a buck, but i couldnt tell through the heavy brush. when i was 80 yards away the wind shifted and the deer smelled me and left. disappointed, i leaned against a tree and hoped another deer would go through. i stood there about 20 mins when i looked to th far end of the corn field and saw 3 deer feeding. i decided i would sneek back to where i came from and try to cut them off on the back side. well when i was almost back to where i started at the mini truck i saw that the deer were moving down through the corn field,and fast ! i pretty much ran back through the woods towards the apple orchard where i was hoping i could cut them off before they hit the woods. i got to the edge of the apple orchard on our land and watched the deer. they had stopped and were feeding. then to my left i saw a deer 150 yards away come out of the woods and go towards the deer in the field.i watched for about 10 mins and it was ovious the deer werent going to come my way. so i had to decide whether i try to make a 500 yard stalk all away around the corn field without scaring the deer or if i hunker down and go straight at them through the field. i decided i was running out of light and i will try to go right towards them. luckly there was a knoll that i got in and was able to sneek the whole way without them seeing me. as i came on the top of the knoll i peeked over and saw the back of a deer in the field. i couldnt belive they were still there ! i cocked the gun waited till the deer turned broadside,then stood up and got ready. the deer was quite a ways off, but i knew it was in range of my deadly accurate swivel gun. i put the bead right behind its shoulder and shot. i heard a smack and the deer jumped 3 feet in the air and ran off. i knew i made a good hit on it. i walked over and looked on the ground...no blood anywhere ? i called my dad and told him to bring some flashlights. when he got there we started looking. there was no blood anywhere and he wondered if i hit the deer. i told him yes i definetly hit it. so we found its tracks and followed them. as we came around the edge of the corn field i looked down and saw a pin head size drop of blood. well, i thought atleast i know i hit the deer. we followed the tracks and found one tiny tiny piece of membrane and 2 drops of blood. it was now 70 yards from where i first shot the deer and i was seriously thinking i must of just nicked the deer. but i knew by the way it acted it had to be a better hit then that. pretty soon our deers tracks mixed with the others and we lost its track. so we started making a circle down by the creek where we thought it might go. no luck. so we were making our way back to the field.all i had was the light on my cell phone. i happened to look to my left and wat do u know there lays my deer ! i was so relieved that i found it. i looked and saw that i had made a perfect shot on it. when i was gutting it i looked and saw that both lungs were blown to pieces. the thick winter hair on the deer had plugged both of the entrence and exit hole. i drug the deer back to where i shot it so i could drive the truck to go get it. i wanted to see how far the shot had been. i stepped it off.. 115 yards offhand standing with open sights !!!! i was so proud of the shot. this swivel gun is a perfect hunting gun. so far it has gotten 2 deer in the last 3 weeks. it is my go to gun now. the quick second shot comes in handy, even tho i havent needed it yet :haha: i am very happy with my deer. it was a little button buck. it sure didnt bleed much,but we found it anyway. it had ran about 120 yards from where i first shot it. the shot was a little high so thats also why it didnt bleed the best. tomorrow im going to go look and follow the whole track from where i shot it to where it fell, to see if there is any blood i missed. i have 1 tag left that i am going to try to fill in muzzleloader season in a few weeks. cheers SS
DSCF1332.jpg

DSCF1334.jpg

DSCF1335.jpg

Wow Grandson four deer and a bear this year. You got me beat. That's alright, you getting to do what I would have liked to do when I was your age.( Black Powder) I am proud to be your Paw Paw :thumbsup: PP Dilly

:thumbsup: Sounds like a nice shooting gun. What's this mini truck you keep referring to?

Well done! You kept thinking and being optimistic and it paid off. Blood can do funny things to your rifle's blueing, all of them bad. So be careful about where you put your rifle around a dead deer, and also watch out for blood on your hands getting onto the rifle.

Your hunting and stories are making this old coot feel warm all over. Nice to know the future is in such good hands.

Keep up the good work! :hatsoff:

Good shot. :thumbsup:
Glad you found him. Sometimes they go farther than you'd think.

Your shot looks right on the money to me! amazing how they can stay on their feet sometimes? congrats.

luie,
it is a japanese mini truck. our family buisness sells them so i get one to play with. google them. it is about the perfect farm/hunting vehicle you could ask for. 4 wheel drive 4 speed that will go anywhere. belive me ive put them through everything. :wink:

I have a friend that has one of those asian delivery truck things. He also uses it as his hunting vehicle and painted it camo and put bull horns on the front of it. It's pretty hilarious seeing him drive that thing down the road. I was asking because I wanted to make sure you weren't talking about a small pickup like my GMC sonoma. My truck doesn't like being called small :rotf:

Sniper,
Very nicely told tale and a hunt well done! Looks like you probably have a very good shooting instuctor teaching you offhand shooting!! (LOL)
Keep sharing your adventures with us. Keep your powder dry and may your flints spark sure!
Chasing Crow

Right on SS. It is good to have young men like yourself out hunting this way and posting on this forum. Enjoyed the pics of your swivel gun deer (both #1 and #2).

Back