• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

second squirrel for 32 Custom flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is the second squirrel for the 32 custom flinter. It was about 20 yards away sitting in a fork of a tree. I was directly under it. I aimed for a texas heart shot, in the butt and out the chest. I shot and the squirrel fell stone cold dead. its belly was ripped open and its guts were blown out. I didnt even have to cut it open to gut it ! I noticed the heart had been blown to shreds. So i figured the ball had gone in the butt and come out the middle of its chest. I was looking at the squirrel and i saw it had a lump under its skin,right between its eyes. i pinched it with my fingers and it felt like a disk. Then I relized it ! It was the ball ! when I was skinning the squirrel,I was skinning out the head when all of a sudden I heard something hit the ground. I looked down to see the little treasure.The ball was flattened out to 2 times the original size. Thats when everything came together. I had tried for a texas heart shot and did it perfectly,but with a twist. The ball had gone in the butt,thru the guts,hitting the heart dead on,but then it had gone up the neck,in the skull and stopped right on the skin between the eyes ! What a cool shot! enjoy SS
DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

here is the flattened ball next to a dime.
09130912571.jpg

here is the flattened ball next to a regular .310 ball.
09130912591.jpg

:thumbsup: Two trophies with one shot. Do'n good. I got the frypan out. Just a couple more and we can have us a real feast. Did I tell you before that you got a real pretty rifle there? :wink:

Thats different! Never thought of using a heart shot like that. Great story. Have you ever tried barking one? Catch one laying on a limb and hit the limb under his head-chest area. Works slick.
How much does your gun weigh? Hope you make a lot more shots! :thumbsup:

Fintlock hunting at its best ! I sure wish our squirrel season opended in September...as it is, it opens about the same time Deer season does and my available time to hunt is usually trumped by deer hunting.

Deer ends January 1st, and squirrel run on through the end of February, but by then the trees are naked and they can see you coming a mile away...tough to get close unless you have a squirrel dog to tree & hold them til you get there.

Congratulations...looks like you having a ball!

I enjoyed muzzleloader deer hunting for years but it nothing compared to hunting squirrels with one.One of these days I gonna get me a flinter in a 32.

Way to go SS. I was out to nite with the.40, didn't see any squirrels. Saw a gr-hog but didn't a shot. Have 4 little ones in tree front of house. Dilly

Now if you can just figger out how to get that rifle to skin 'em and cook 'em too... :hmm: :wink:

Back