• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seized touch hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Pedersoli Frontier rifle in .50 cal. While doing a cleaning, I wanted to remove the touch hole (vent) to get a better idea of what was happening at the breach end. Unfortunately, I can't remove it! The gun is relatively new and I have had the touch hole out once. When I replaced it, I put on plenty of anti-seize to hopefully prevent this.

Well, the gun shoots and goes off great. However, I would like to be able to remove this for the future. I think my only option is to drill it out and replace it. Does anyone know what the threads are that I would need for a new one? I suppose I wouldn't mind trying out a White Lightning in the future.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

If it isn't messed up and shoots good i would leave it alone. There is really no reason to remove it until it is worn out and needs replaced. Then you can worry about drilling it out if need be. If you do remove it the liner threads are m8X1.25

Windsor said:
I have a Pedersoli Frontier rifle in .50 cal. While doing a cleaning, I wanted to remove the touch hole (vent) to get a better idea of what was happening at the breach end. Unfortunately, I can't remove it! The gun is relatively new and I have had the touch hole out once. When I replaced it, I put on plenty of anti-seize to hopefully prevent this.

Well, the gun shoots and goes off great. However, I would like to be able to remove this for the future. I think my only option is to drill it out and replace it. Does anyone know what the threads are that I would need for a new one? I suppose I wouldn't mind trying out a White Lightning in the future.

Well I have a Pedrsoli, and when I replaced mine they were metric amigo .. NOT Standard american threads. I would let it soak in penertrating oil for a couple of days, give it a tap with a non-marring mallet to help loosen it and try it again! :hatsoff:

Try here .. this is where I bought my replacements ...
[url] http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/parts_nipples.htm#t-th[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you drill use PB Blaster with some light heat and use one of those impact screwdrivers, the ones you set and then hit with a hammer to give the vent liner a quick twist to break loose. Dilly

I don't know if this is a good idea or not, but you could try and heat the touch hole up with a propane torch, then try to remove it quickly. The two dissimilar metals may expand/contract at different rates, and this could help you remove it.

I'd let some penetrating oil work first, then heat the barrel around the vent. That should expand it enough to let it break loose. I'd be worried about heating the vent itself. It's smaller and will heat faster, possibly causing it to expand faster than the barrel steel and really wedge itself in there.

I'll throw in another vote with Rebels suggestion, liners don't need to come out untill they are worn to large, all will be well in that area you cannot see if a good cleaning/drying method is used.

I would let it go but when you go to remove it soak with PB Blaster inside and out then get a small "Easy-out" and try.They look like a tap with reverse bite to grab as you turn to loosen.Hope this helps.

Windsor said:

If it is working well, IMHO, "I" would not compound a non-existant problem. When and if things go south, then is the time to contemplate a fix.

Like many topics, there are usually two main schools of thought and the removal of a vent liner for cleaning is a good one. I'm from the school that removes it every time as part of the barrel cleaning process...I view it no differently than a nipple which is commonly removed for cleaning.

Example, TC uses 1/4" x 28 stainless nipples and vent liners...the breechplugs are drilled & tapped the same way...so personally, I've never seen any logic that supports always removing & cleaning one, yet never removing & cleaning the other.

Anyhow, I pump flush through my vent liners every time I clean a barrel, then remove the liner and pump flush through the threaded seat...after everything is bone dry, I lube the threads with NL1000 and reinstall...it's probably been done 100 times on each of three rifles that I use at the range...I never worry about corrosion and they're as clean and fresh as the day they were made.

Just my .02 cents...

If it uses the type of liner that can be unscrewed by a flat nosed screw driver, pick up a slap hammer and put pressure on it at the same time while smacking the end a couple times. You can even use a plain old simple screw driver and just smack the end of it. Works great for getting out almost stripped screws or frozen screws.

I never had to free a frozen vent liner, but I did have to tackle a frozen percussion nipple once. I used PB Blaster and tried to tighten it a bit before trying to loosen it. It worked, but might be hard to do with a vent liner (wrench opposed to screwdriver issue).
I too remove my vent liners before every cleaning. I get everything clean and dry and then put a little dab of tetra gun grease on the threads.
DJL

If the gun shoots great and you can't get the touch hole liner out leave it alone. I needed to replace a liner that was too large in diameter and leaked various amount of 3f powder. I twisted 2 "easy-outs" and wound up drilling the liner out. I was fortunate (LUCKY)in that I didn't destroy the barrel threads in the process.

I have one of those old Tower flintlock hoss pistols that Dixie used to sell & it doesn't have a liner. . . just a hole drilled thru the barel. Works just fine.
DJL

you could just pull the barrel out of the stock, wrap it in a towel and put it in a vise and use a propane torch and heat the area around the touchhole liner. Thats how i used to get out seized up bolts and breechplugs. It will take a minute or 2 tops.

Hey all - thanks so much for your responses. I think for the time being, I will leave it alone. I had to remove the touch hole once at the range because the gun wouldn't go off. Turns out there was a type of greasy substance, almost like brake grease caked in the breach area. With the way the breach is designed on this rifle, I figure when I cleaned with bore butter that I must have been just shoving it to the breach where I couldn't get at it with my standard sized .50 jag and patch. If I had to guess the shooting that day heated and loosened the bore butter which made my powder charge almost like concrete. If I wasn't able to remove the touch hole then, I'm not sure I could have effectively cleaned that part of the barrel out.

So, for me, it's just a cleaning issue. The gun is great now, so I'll just leave it as is. It does kind of bother me knowing that I have this problem, but it's not the end of the world I suppose.

its really not a problem. All you have to do is heat up that area, take your screw driver to it and it should break loose

In the 15 years I've been doing flinters, it has never crossed my mind to remove the touchhole liner. Of course, alot of other things no longer cross my mind.

Back