• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Seneca lock size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Is the TC Seneca lock the same size as what would fit on the Hawken model? What size was the barrel on the Seneca? Were they 13/16" octagon barrels? How long were the barrels on them and were they percussion only or were some flinters made?

Walks with fire said:
Is the TC Seneca lock the same size as what would fit on the Hawken model? What size was the barrel on the Seneca? Were they 13/16" octagon barrels? How long were the barrels on them and were they percussion only or were some flinters made?

Intriguing question. Yes, to the barrel size. Length, I don't know. We bought my wife's in the 1970s without a barrel and had it custom barrled.
I didn't know the answer to the lock sizes. So I took it and my 'sorta hawken' out and compared them. Wit the ruler they appear to be the same size but I have never tried to switch. The Seneca lock plate is not engraved, the 'hawken' is. Both measure, with a ruler, the same size, 5" long. Another time, if you wish, I'll try the switch and report back.
TClocks.jpg
[/URL][/img]

+1 - While the locks are the same length, the Seneca's (and also the Cherokee & Patriot) lock is shallower, so to match the lower height of the Cherokee's 13/16" bbl (and nipple), vs the 15/16" & 1" Hawken & Renegade bbls - and it has a subtle difference in it's contour at the top forward & rear edges.

Also notice, in the comparative pic, posted above & below, that the Seneca's hammer shows a much more curved/serpentine shape than the Hawken's - which also helps to lower the Seneca's hammer nose in relation to the tumbler axle.

TClocks.jpg

The TC Seneca, has a 13/16 barrel 27"long, and a smaller lock, than the Hawken. The Seneca is commonly barreled in .36 cal. and .45 cal. The entire rifle looks like a scaled down Hawken. All the parts on the rifle are sized to make one of the best looking rifles ever manufactured. They sell higher, than almost all of the TC percussion guns. No flintlocks, were ever built. Another TC, similar in size, was the Cherokee, it was plainer looking without the brass, but scaled down, with 13/16 barrel and only 24" long barrel, most commonly seen in .32 or .36 caliber. I don't know if they ever had .45 cal. barrels or not. I have a Seneca and a Cherokee, and they are fantastic. My .32 Cherokee barrel is a little ruff, and I wish I could find a nicer barrel, or entire rifle. The Patriot pistol, also shares some of the Seneca/Cherokee, lock parts.

I had a Cherokee, even the nipples are different, a standard 1/4-28 wont do. I cant remember the size, but they are smaller, more like a revolver nipple. Seneca nipple should be the same as the Cherokee.

Of course your observations are correct. I just didn't want to say definitively that they would/would not interchange without actually trying.
BTW, we very much like the Seneca. My wife has won stacks of medals with it. Now, with my shoulders and eyes aging I find the lighter weight and peeps on it make it just fine for my club shoots. Although, I really prefer shooting flint. :(

Hadden West said:
Another TC, similar in size, was the Cherokee, it was plainer looking without the brass, but scaled down, with 13/16 barrel and only 24" long barrel, most commonly seen in .32 or .36 caliber.

I don't know if they ever had .45 cal. barrels or not.

Both the Seneca & Cherokee's were also available in .45 (I had a .45 Cherokee B4 my .45 Seneca).

No LH or rocklocks AFAIK, though.

Back