• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shaping a Powder Horn Spout

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,
I thought I would share some photos of how I shape a powder horn throat and spout. It might be a bit unconventional but it’s a personal technique that I developed that seems to work well. (Note that I do the base plug first- just personal preference.)
I work by using a 1/4” steel rod which is inserted deeply into the nozzle hole and, with my free hand to support the horn, I rasp and file the horn to shape.
Care must be taken to not exert too much force at the risk of cracking the spout. As the horn material is removed, less pressure is used. Final shaping with a scraper, knife, needle files and sandpaper is done off the bench (usually outside in a comfortable chair😉)
I have been using this method for a good while and at horn #70 (shown), I have never had a horn crack.
Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_3232.jpeg
    IMG_3232.jpeg
    2.5 MB
  • IMG_3233.jpeg
    IMG_3233.jpeg
    3.2 MB
  • IMG_3235.jpeg
    IMG_3235.jpeg
    3.1 MB
  • IMG_3237.jpeg