• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Cast Balls

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I know you old timers are awair of this but some of the newer people may be unaware of the recommended method of loading a cast round ball.

When the ball is cast, the melted lead flows thru a small hole in the mold and is cut off after the lead hardens. The remnants sticking out of the ball is called a sprue.

Some (including me) recommend that this sprue should be located "up" when you place the ball on the patch during loading.
The reason for this is the interior of cast balls almost always has a void right under this sprue. This is caused by the lead freezing in the gate (mold hole) before the lead in the mold is solidified. The shrinkage of the lead in the mold trys to suck more lead thru the gate but cannot so a little void or bubble forms there. This makes the ball out of balance.

If the out of balance void is directly on the axis of the bore it has little effect on the trajectory. If it is located to the side, the ball will wobble during its flight which may lead to "flyers". (Those shots which seem to go wide of the mark for no apparent reason).
Some will argue that this is pure hooie but I feel if there is a chanch of it screwing up my shot, it will (usually when I've got a good group going). Besides, it only takes a second or two to position it in the right place.

If you shoot Hornady or other SWAGED balls they are solid lead without voids of any kind and the above comments do not apply but for tight-wad's like me that likes the idea of getting 40 (.50 cal) or 50 (.45 cal) balls for about a bucks worth of lead by casting my own it might make a difference.

Would this "VOID" work as a crude, round ball hollow point?
rolleyes.gif

I did a post several months ago about the location of the spure. here's the link...

http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000062#000000

The "void" you speak of is a result of stopping the pouring proccess too early. When puring the lead, over pour! You can always re-use the excess. Over poring the lead forces the air pocket to diminnish from the weight of the hot lead. This should solve your queries about lop-sided ball trajectery.

Musketman: I ran a search on "sprue" and came across your post before writing this one. Based on your posts comments you seem to agree with me although for a different reason. The way I read your post and all of the responces to it, it seemed that the outside shape or surface roundness was the main point. I agree that a lump spinning around in the supersonic air blast can have a large effect on the trajectory, but I posted this because it deals with the interior porosity of cast balls and the imbalance caused by it.
Either "Muzzle Blasts" or "Muzzleloader" (my two most favorite magazines) I forget which, had a good article on this a few months ago complete with sectioned balls which clearly show what I'm talking about.

Bull: Yes I agree that if you keep pouring to keep the gate melted it greatly helps reduce porosity but there is a point where you have to stop pouring and variation in this stopping point can effect the outcome. Also if you buy someone elses cast balls you don't know if they were poorly cast or not.

My bottom line is it's real easy to locate the sprue "up" during loading so why not do it and take one more variable out of the accuracy equation when loading cast round balls? I'm sure we all agree that consistancy is the key to good accuracy.
smile.gif

You can cast balls you think are perfect, but they will still have air pockets in them. Don't think that swaged balls (Hornady & Speer) don't have voids in them eithor. If you want a suprise, take an old knife and carefully hammer it through the middle of a handfull of balls. Thats why swagged balls are so inconsistant in weight. With practice you can cast better balls then the swagged ones. Just weigh them and recast the light ones.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
I'm sure we all agree that consistancy is the key to good accuracy.This is what I love about muzzleloading, we are in control of the consistancy and thus, our end results.

I agree with weighing the round balls for maximum consistancy, I even go as far as lining up my patches the same way each time, middle blue stripe in line with the barrel's front sight...

Hay musketman: We hear all the time on the History Channel and in a number of books about how the Brown Bess was only good on a man sized target at a range closer than 50 yards. Anything further away than that they just lobbed the balls toward.
So, as I know your favorate gun is a Bess, what is the range that you can hit a man sized target every time?
confused.gif

Abour 6 inches from the barrel is a guarenteed "HIT"...
grin.gif

I can hit a dinner plate at 50 yards with mine, but I have been shooting it for over 15 years.

(so that means I can hit a man size target standing in the chow line holding his mess tray at 50 yards...)
rolleyes.gif

As far as lobbing musket balls towards the oppisite side, that was a standard tactic with the British Army, They shot vollies of rounds while in ranks, this way there was a line of lead blasting towards the other side.

50 yards at a plate size target is pretty easy with a smoothbore. Several of NMLRA smoothbore matches are at 100 yards. How do you fare out there?

I won't take a shot beyond 50 yards because of my eye sight, I have karititus both eyes.

The musket will do the distance, but I can't.

That must be a real drag. I'm having the usual trouble of seeing the sights from getting older. I don't want to think about something keeping me from shooting. I honestly have never heard of Karatitus. What is it?

quote:Originally posted by Beaver:
I honestly have never heard of Karititus. What is it? It's a disease of the Cornea...

My eyes bleed through the cornea (they're pitted), and the scarring is what is blurring my vision.

The bad part is that I was only 40 when I got it...
frown.gif

Musketman:
Sorry about the eyes, and I complain just cause mine are getting old. It's the old story "I complaned I had no shoes untill I met a man with no feet". At least with these smoothbore we can blame the gun. Hope they come up with a way to improve your eyes. They seem to find new things everyday.
No Powder

Well, it makes driving fun...
grin.gif

So I keep the yardage down for safty reasons, I still get to hunt and shoot, and that's what is important.

Back