• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samerch

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I had planed on going out hunting early today, but my wife had other plans. Finely escaped at 12:30 and headed to a old hunting spot that I haven't been to in 20 years. I had limited time because the Jets where playing at 3:00 and I wanted to watch Farve play once this year. So I get truck parked and grabbed my fowler, hunting pouch and snowshoes and headed into the timber. Less than a 100 yards in I have 2 squirrels in the bag, from there I go up hill and shoot the first rabbit. At the top of the hill I set down, there must have been five squirrels running around collect two more for the bag. At this point I decide to head back to the truck when the last rabbit jumps in front of me, added him to the bag, and left the fowler empty for the walk back. I got home at 2:30 which left enough time for me to clean the rabbits and squirrels before the game started.
Merch
fowler12-28-08001.jpg

Hey Merch, can you tell us what load you like to use? I assume your fowler is a 20 gauge?

The load I use in my 20ga fowler is
75 grain 2f
1/8" over powder hard card
1/2" per lubed fiber wad
1oz copper coated 5 shot
.25 thou over shot card
When out hunting and I am in a hurry to load I will skip the 1/2" fiber wad, but only if I have something right in front of me. Patterns seems about the same with or with out the fiber wad. The reason I use the pre lubed wads is that you can hunt all day with out fouling your barrel up. Roundball has posted alot of good info on the 20ga fowler loads.

Nice! but Farve might as well had stayed home unfortunately.
No kidding :( :(

Great hunt really like the fowler.
Thanks I've been wanting to build one for the last 10 years. Didn't have time so I bought this one off the net, And I have to say that I can't remember having this much fun in a long time.

Merch

I sure would love to hunt with you! Heck, when I go out, the animals all take a vacation... :cursing:

Well, it's official now. I hate you. :blah: Just kidding of course, that looks delicious! I am envious!

Back