• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot 1st deer with a PRB

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Trapper

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Yesterday I shot my first deer with a PRB and my 21st deer with a muzzle loader. Was impressed with the size of the hole the tiny ball made without hitting any bone.

Thats excellent! but we need pictues! The PRB is just as good if not better than a conical IMHO,plus you don't have to deal with the increased recoil that a conical gives you.

45 caliber TC Hawken with 70 grains of Triple Seven 2F, Hornady round ball with ox-yoke 15 thousands patch & CCI #11 mag cap. Sorry no pictures taken, deer is skinned and cut up. Already took hide in and sold it this morning as I had to go to town anyway. I've got a Lyman 57 rear peep sight on this rifle and a globe on the front. The peep sight helps my old eyes see what I am looking at.

The PRB is just as good if not better than a conical IMHO,plus you don't have to deal with the increased recoil that a conical gives you.[/quote]

Oh, but real men like recoil, lets ya know the bullet left the barrel and that you are having fun! Don't be a wimp, shoot full charge loads :wink:

Great! I can remember my first ML kill like it was yesterday! Other than the open sights I really don't feel handicapped. By the way I have never shot anything other than PRB's. Geo. T

smo said:
Congrats RT :thumbsup: How much will a deer hide bring?

Not much, Fleet Farm gives out $3 credit towards any purchase in the store. Plus they have a drawing for some nice prizes (ATV, gun & etc) for those who bring in hides.

Back