• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot my Lyman Deerstalker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locotest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Bought a Lyman Deerstalker a few days ago, cleaned it up and took it to shoot today, (very cold wind).
I was quite pleased with the performance of the rifle, (my performance, not so much), trigger pull was great for a single trigger and ignition time was terrific. I already ordered a RMC touchhole liner, but it did great without it.
Going to take it out hunting tomorrow, I plan on keeping my shots within 50 yards, beyond that it's hard for me to line up those open sights.
I am really looking forward to warmer weather so I can get out and be comfortable while shooting, I only shot for maybe 30 minutes today after getting my portable target and portable bench set up, did I mention it was cold? :surrender:

Good luck hunting tomorrow. A nice bit of venison or even a squirrel would be a great way to break in a new smoke pole.

Can you post pics of it and maybe your targets? I've noticed those front sights get harder to see each year.

My nephew's two sons each have one of those in .50 cal. shooting 70grs 3F Goex with .490 ball with pre-lubed patch. We did drill out the touch hole but other than that they are stock. Those boys sure have put a heap of hurting on deer with them guns! Know yours will too. Dan.

I got a Deerstalker about a year ago and was also imressed with its' accuracy. As for the touch hole liner, if it works OK already, there's no reason to change it. If you had ignition problems, simply drill out the Lyman liner hole to .067" with a #51 drill bit, and chamfer the inside edge with a cone-shaped Dremel stone. Save the new liner for the future when you wear out the factory liner.

Be sure to crosspin the rod tip to keep it from separating down the bore. It doesn't take much - a finishing nail makes a good pin & just drill a tight hole, tap it into place, clip off each end, then file flush, finishing with fine emery or crocus cloth.

Thanks for the encouragement guys! :thumbsup: I will try to get pics the next time I take it out target shooting. Thinking about getting the aperture sight, I never used one on a hunting rifle.

You may want to try .495 or .500 balls. My Deer Stalker seems to have an oversized bore. I had no luck with accuracy till I used .500 ball with .020 patch. It also had very sharp rifling that was cutting my patches, some steel wool cured that. The final improvement was adding the peep sight. What a difference if you have trouble seeing the rear sight.

Congrats on your new rifle! :thumbsup: I have the same problem with the open sights. Must be a problem with the sights, it certainly couldn't be my 54 year old eyes. :idunno:

AZbpBurner said:
If you had ignition problems, simply drill out the Lyman liner hole to .067" with a #51 drill bit, and chamfer the inside edge with a cone-shaped Dremel stone.

What IS the optimal size for the flash hole?

When is the hole too small or too large?

Or are these dimensions and chamfering inter-dependent?

TMan51 said:
AZbpBurner said:
If you had ignition problems, simply drill out the Lyman liner hole to .067" with a #51 drill bit, and chamfer the inside edge with a cone-shaped Dremel stone.

What IS the optimal size for the flash hole?

When is the hole too small or too large?

Or are these dimensions and chamfering inter-dependent?
Optimal is the size that works best for you. There is no rule.

If the factory touch hole gives you ignition 100% of the time, there's no need to enlarge it. If you do need a bigger touch hole, start with a #53 (.061")bit, and go on to #52 (.067'), and increase by numbered bit increments until you get the performance you want.

I use .067" in all my Lymans, with excellent ignition.

I've always had great success with a 1/16" vent and drill all mine with that size drill bit. Never have had to make one any bigger.

Well I took it for a walk this afternoon, saw 2 deer but no shot, try again tomorrow.

I concur with hanshi... never had a problem with that size touch hole, even after a bunch of shots at the range. :thumbsup:

flguy said:
Well I took it for a walk this afternoon, saw 2 deer but no shot, try again tomorrow.

Well, at least you saw a couple. Now you know where two are, it is just a matter of finding where they water at. :)

Only picture I have so far, will try to take some the next time I take it out to the range

Took a break to eat a sandwich, nice spot.

IMG_0348.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Back