• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot out of a smoothbore pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangfiretx

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever shoot shot out of a smoothbore pistol? Euroarms has one in 58 caliber and of course there are the .69 calibers (usually in flintlock) that come in smoothbore pistol.

I wonder what kind of knockdown power they'd have at about 20 yards? Good enough to hunt with?

YES, I have used shot loads in a smoothbore pistol. I had it loaded that way to take care of snakes where I hiked.

NO, at least from my experiences, the load was effective on snakes at a couple yards away, but I wouldn't depend on it for hunting game unless it was within 10yds--maybe closer. I don't think using it would be fair (sporting) to the game or to yourself.

NOTE: Some smoothbore pistols are only smooth by virtue of not being rifled... but they still have tooling marks inside (may looks like they have rings the length of the barrel). In an exceptionally smooth barrel, you will get somewhat better performance than I did. (My gun did NOT have a polished & smooth barrel, as some guns that I've ever had.)

You would also get a better shot pattern, IF you have a caliber/gauge that you can use the proper sized wads that are typically used in muzzleloading shotguns. The more care you take, the better the shot pattern "could" be; BUT I still wouldn't consider it "sporting" for game hunting.

Are you familiar with loading shot loads for muzzleloading long guns?

It sounds as though you haven't as yet purchased your smoothbore flintlock pistol. Are you basing your decision on it's ability to handle a shot load, or something other?

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

i have a .16 ga smoothbore flinter. i have patterned it and think that it would be sufficient to use on bunnies. thats the reason i bought mine in the first place was because in a lot of places that i hunt i can't get my tradeguns barrel around quick enough to get a shot off. my trade gun has a 42" barrel. i have shot roundball out of the pistol as well and will be using it for a backup shot during deer season.
pieman

YES, I have used shot loads in a smoothbore pistol. I had it loaded that way to take care of snakes where I hiked.
Same here. I built up a .67 smoothbore with a 9" barrel and belt hook specifically as a snake gun when trekking. I loaded it with 1 1/8 ounces of #5 shot over 40 grains of 3F. It handles shot well at very short ranges...but spreads wide at any distance (9" barrel). I must admit to never having to fire it at a snake...but it felt reassuring hanging on the sash. And it makes a hell of a mess outta them may apples! :)
Shoots roundballs decently too if you aren't trying to hit much beyond 10 yards.
Jack

Back