• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shotgun for rabbit hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott024

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got back into rabbit hunting with the beagle pup we got last March. I hunted this year with a .20 franchi semi and a stoger 12ga s/s. I enjoy hunting with the dog and listening to her work. I was thinking about using a muzzleloader shotgun and think it would be a lot of fun. I have a .50 flint for deer and have shot many with it but i have no idea about a shotgun. I looked online and have seen some in percussion like the T/C but can't find any flints at a reasonable price. also I saw a 20 guage pistol in the cabelas book, can that be loaded with 6 shot.

go to track of the wolf for flints, and unless you want an original SxS, you'll gave to get either a used CVA or pedersoli SxS.

Great fun.

shotcups003.jpg

Brits.

For close to 20 years I used a Navy Arms SxS 12 (the Pieta version) with cylinder bores for snowshoe hares over the beagles we were raising and training. Distances will vary from place to place, but I had to be awfully careful with 1 1/8 oz loads not to pattern the hares, or pay the price in mess. At first I dropped down to a 1 oz charge and finally to a 7/8 oz charge. Then I settled back on 1 1/8 oz for pattern density at the ranges I needed, but with #4 or #5 shot to limit the number of strikes, while also using the edge of the pattern to "fringe" them.

I traded off the old double when steel shot requirements finally came to Alaska (it was my principal duck gun too), and regretted it ever since. I got an identical replacement recently and that's put me back in the rabbit business. I still won't pass up a cylinder bored 20 SxS or especially a 410 SxS when I come across one at the right price.

Earlier this winter before getting the NA double I was using my Renegade with a 62 cal (20 gauge) GM drop-in barrel and 7/8 oz of shot. I was out of the larger shot and had to use #6, and I still had to fringe them with that load all the way out past 30 yards. I doubt I'll be using that combo much any more, because it actually weighs a fair bit more than the NA double 12.

Britsmoothy said:
All three were sitting together as I crested a rise. The one shot got all three! Thats the paper shot cup you can see.

B :thumbsup:

3 for 1, well done sir!

I've taken a bunch of cottontails & a few swamp rabbits with my early Pedersoli 12ga s/s. I used 1-1/8 oz #8 but there's probably good logic in larger shot to eliminate some of the shot in the hassenpfeffer. I used to load #8's when there was a good chance of jumping a covey of quail. Not much chance of that here in the Ozarks anymore :(
The most fun I ever had rabbit hunting was when I had a really good beagle/basset mix that was born to hunt. I used my 10" 45 Colt/.410 Contender & waited for just the right shot. Man, I miss that dog.

That is great fun for sure. I have found that 6shot always worked well, for the quail too, especially since there weren't that many to worry about.

:hatsoff:
Good luck
Wess

Back