• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

shotgun loads for turkies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahhntnful

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi, I just aquired a Pedersoli double 12 ga. and am going to hunt Turkies with it and was just wondering, anybody out there have any good advise on loads.

I'll be watching this thread because I just purchased a Pedersoli double barrel and would like info on loads as well. I can't personally offer you anything but I will mention that my shotgun came with fixed chokes and I believe that they're IC and M, certainly not what you'd want to hunt turkeys with. I know that there are some tricks to tighten up your patterns and obviously you can restrict yourself to only very close shots. Good luck.

do a search for this subject under the smoothbore forum, there's alot of info there. My old favorite load was 70 grains of 1f, one overpowder card, 120 grain measue full of #6 shot, then the overshot card.I killed a jake with this load a few years back out of a cylinder bore flint musker at 20 yards. But I'll be trying some new loads soon, tonite I'm picking up a CVA side by side shotgun!

When I had my Navy Arms (made by same co. as yours) I used 90grs. Pyrodex RS 1 over powder card, 1 cushion wad same messure of # 5 shot and 1 over shot card. Killed my 2nd biggest turkey so far with this load at about 30-35 yds. Load worked great the gun just didn't fit! :hmm:

A nice way to test your loads is what Roundball has posted in the past:

At the range you shoot, an empty tuna can, shots that penetrate the can will do the job with a good amount of hits that's what you want.

Density AND penetration.

That's a tip from the back of the Dixie Catalog. Just be sure to use a steel ("tin") can and not an aluminum can; those are too flimsey & brittle.

My 12 gauge turkey load is 1-1/4 oz #4 shot and 75 gr FFg powder. Circle Fly cards & wad. Most would consider that on the light side, but it does no good to miss with a lot of fast moving pellets.

If you go to www.remington.com you can download a good turkey practice/patterning target.
http://www.remington.com/library/downloads/paper_targets.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Back