• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sight adjustment

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmaster

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I can't find it and I just don't remember. (old age?) Anyhow, my sons rifle shoots about 4 inches low at 25 yards. Do I need a taller sight or do I need to file down the front sight? Thanks. ::

File down the front sight to raise the point of impact. Go Slowly.It does not take very much to make a big difference.For left and right: Move the front site the direction you want the shot to go or move the rear site in the opposit direction.

Sight adjustment, rear sight goes in the same direction you want the point of impact to go. If shooting right, move rear sight left, if shooting low raise rear sight, or lower front sight. Move front sight the opposite direction you want point of impact to go, if shooting low raise the front sight or lower the rear sight, if shooting left move front sight left, etc.

Aw man, and all this time I thought you moved the rear sight in the direction you wanted to move the bullet.....

As for the front sight, I wouldn't be too hasty to do any filing yet, because houw you hold the gun can make a big difference. Make sure that you aren't shooting with the forend on a solid rest- That usually throws shots low. Grip the forend as you normally would, then rest the back of your hand on the support. Shooting this way could reveal that you may not need to file the sight at all, if up till now you have been shooting from a rest.

If you do pick up a file, take it really slow and easy like Sully says.

You do move the rear sight the way you want the bullet to move, raise sight to raise POI, lower sight to lower POI, move left to move POI left, etc.

One question for ya. what powder are ya shooting? Make sure your getting good groups before filing. Different powder,patch, ball combos, will move that point of aim. Corse you probably all ready know that. :)

File down the front sight to raise the point of impact. Go Slowly.It does not take very much to make a big difference.For left and right: Move the front site the direction you want the shot to go or move the rear site in the opposit direction.

You might want to rethink your last sentence. :m2c:

You might want to rethink your last sentence. :m2c:

Yes you move the front site in the opposite direction you want the bullet to go, and the rear sight in the same direction. :RO:

Back