• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sight height for best tragetory

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering if there is a difference between trajectory according to the relationship of the sights setting high or low on the barrel. And if so wich one (high or low) would be best for reduce load target shooting?
I shoot reduced loads due to a brain injury that I received several years ago, and need to be careful that I don't get jarred around alot! I typicaly shoot between 20-40 grains of 3f Goex up to 100 yard targets. I shoot a .50 cal Blueridge Pedersoli with a 39" barrel. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

The higher the sight set above the bore the flatter the trajectory seems. In other words you can zero for a distance farther away without midrange misses. The calculations you see for suppository rifle are usually made with iron sights 3/4" above the bore, or a telescope 1 1/2" above the bore.

Trajectory is trajectory for given load and gun, sights will have no effect on said tragectory

Trajectory is not affected by height of sights but point blank range is. Isn't there an advantage to having the bullet start out below the line of sight and rise to meet it. It should allow the peak height of the bullet's path above the line of sight to be out a little further. Somebody should have a nice computer graph of this. I believe that higher sights allow the line of bore to be raised at a higer angle relative to the line of sight while keeping the same maximum height of bullet flight above the line of sight. The trajectory of the higher sighted gun is not the same as the lower sighted gun as it can start out at a higher angle to the horizon. Where are those graphs... :) GC

The bullet/balls trajectory is unchanged by the height of the sights above the bore, but the effect on where the bullet/ball hits the target at distances other than the one which the gun is sighted in for is different.

A way to visualize this is as follows:
Let us say the front sight is mounted along side of the barrel and it's height is exactly at the center of the muzzle. The height of impact as measured from the line of sight might be:
zero at 0 yards, +2.5" at 25 yards, +4.0" at 50 yards, +3.1 at 70 yards and zero at 100 yards.

If the sighting plane is raised up to be 1 inch above the center of the bore the hieght of impact, measured from the line of sight would be close to -1.0" at the muzzle, +1.5 at 25 yards, +3.0" at 50 yards, +2.0" at 70 yards and zero at 100 yards.
The figures will not be exactly equal the distance from the center of the barrel to the height of the front sight because in both cases, the line of sight is converging on the same point at 100 yards.

Ya right say what??? I got it I think. :rotf: :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Back