• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sighting in rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering how you gents sight in your rifles for HUNTING.Do you sight em in on a clean barrel or a fouled barrel.How do you load your gun before you foul it,EG. powder ball an patch or powder an cotton ball. WALT. :hmm:

I sight mine in a clean barrel. Since I swab between shots, hopefully I have removed some or most of the fowling.
Each morning I start with a clean dry rifle, load upand go hunting. At the end of the day I discharge and clean the rifle for the next day.
Minimizes the chances of blockage in the nipple area and moisture in the barrel.
Vearl

Clean barrel, two inches high at 50 yards, powder, patch and ball...No need for wads with a good powder/patch combo and reasonable hunting charges...

clean barrel for every shot sighting in..once sighted for first shot always do a second to be sure in case i may need another shot with dirty barrel,....hunt with clean barrel,bear grease/deer tallow patch...and (uh oh!) leave loaded till....I feel the need to unload..clean an reload...flintlock.. :thumbsup:

I sight my .50 ball gun in on a denatured alcohol swabbed barrel for every shot. My load is 90 grains of Goex 2f and a patched with Mink Oil .490 Hornady ball. I sight in dead on at 90 yards.

you should always sight in your rifle with a clean bore for hunting. hunting with a dirty bore is a bad idea as it can lead to corrosion.

-Matt

Well let me start by saying that I shoot target matches with my hunting rifle or hunt with the target rifle! Which ever this is how it worked out for me!

When sighted in for dead on at 50 yards with the 55 grain powder charge I use it is slightly high at 50 and right on at 100 with the 100 grain load that I hunt with. I always swab the barrel with a bore butter patch before loading and between shots at matches. Thus I do the same when loading for hunting. Geo. T.

I sight in with a clean barrel...or should I say I never shoot more than two shots before swabbing when actually sighting. However, after sighting in, I intentionally shoot a bunch of shots...generally 5 or 6, without doing any swabbing of any kind to see how the fouling may affect the shots at various ranges. Have never needed more than one shot so far, but who knows what might happen and I want that info tucked away in my head if needed.

BTW...on my guns and loads I've found the difference clean or dirty is within "Minute of Deer" accuracy anyway. That's good, 'cause my memory ain't what it used to be!

I have always felt that it needs to be sighted in on a clean bore if the rifle is going to used for hunting. Why would anyone want a rifle that was loaded on a fouled bore to hunt for hours with when it would increase that chances of a damp charge, hangfires or a clogged up touch holes? All potential problems that could be eliminated with a simple 2 min. of cleaning. Now the point of impact may not be much different with a slightly fouled barrel but why not do it the same way every time?

For woods walks and other rapid shooting just keep loading until the last one went down a bit hard.

Back