• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sights for Kibler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryK

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought an in the white SMR. The provided sights are too small for my vision, so I wanted to pop in a Marbles adjustable sight and a fiber optic on the front (for hunting). Anyway the dovetails are not standard. Any sights available to fit?

I doubt any modern sights will fit. The dovetails on the sights are way to deep.

Based on measuring my homemade Kibler sights, I get about:
Front, 0.389" wide (Front to back) at the bottom and 0.060" deep with a 60* dovetail.
Rear, 0.595" front to back, and about 0.040" deep, 60*.
Please do no buy sights base on those measurements of sights I have made for my own Kibler.

The Kibler sights are not optimal for me. The front is too small for me to see well enough to shoot well. I shoot paper targets in full sun. So, I make new sights. On the ones in front of me, the front blade is about 0.80" wide and the rear has a slot is about 0.040" wide. I have made wide front sights that match the official NMLRA target black, (~0.125"). That works more like service rifle or pistol shooting, which I like.

The key is to make the rear sight slot about 0.040" thinner that the front sight to get a sliver of light on either side. Slot.... a parallel sided notch that is about as deep as is wide. A deep slot is illegal for competition because it can be used like a peep sight.

That works for me, others have different preferences.

Last edited:
I think I will make a blank to fit in the wide dovetail. Then I will rout out a rectangle to press in a 3/8 dovetail adjustable sight. Then I will have my neighbor weld the sight to the blank from the bottom. I'll dress that flat, and hopefully slide that into place.
At least that is what I am thinking now.

No need to weld anything. Soft solder is plenty strong and will make a neater job.

Latest posts

Back