• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Simply amazing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Of all things, this is something I never would have thought would happen. This fell out of a hole in the rear leg of a squirrel but only after it had been cleaned, washed well under running water, then sat in the fridge for a couple days in salt water. Wife was getting ready to vacuum pack a bunch of chunks of squirrel meat and this fell out on the counter.

.32 caliber. If memory serves me well, this particular squirrel was rather close but in an awkward position in the fork of a tree, was looking at me, and was an off handed shot. It was early morning and still quite dark in the hardwoods. Aiming for the head or most forward part of the body. Sometimes things just happen.

Out of 33 squirrels this year with the same Crockett Rifle using the same loads, this was the first round ball recovered. All the others, most were from further distances, all were pass through shots. Even when multiple bones were struck.

IMG_1318.jpeg

Last edited:
It is amazing what a pure lead ball will do upon impact. Nigh of 35 years ago I took aim at the head of a boar squirrel peering at me out of the side of his eye at about my chin height as it was clinging to the bark of a tree. The .315" ball flew true and the quarry dropped to the forest floor instantly. Upon skinning the critter a perfect spherical flat of lead was resting between the hide and backbone over the hindlegs. The skull shaved off this portion of the soft lead while the remainder of the projectile traveled on through. This disc veered off on nearly a 90 degree path along the spine unit coming to a stope where found. No two shots are exactly the same.
Glad you found that beat up ball.

It is amazing what a pure lead ball will do upon impact. Nigh of 35 years ago I took aim at the head of a boar squirrel peering at me out of the side of his eye at about my chin height as it was clinging to the bark of a tree. The .315" ball flew true and the quarry dropped to the forest floor instantly. Upon skinning the critter a perfect spherical flat of lead was resting between the hide and backbone over the hindlegs. The skull shaved off this portion of the soft lead while the remainder of the projectile traveled on through. This disc veered off on nearly a 90 degree path along the spine unit coming to a stope where found. No two shots are exactly the same.
Glad you found that beat up ball.
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that information. Strange things happen for sure.

Back