• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

single shot vs double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alberta Black

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a single shot New Englander 12 gauge that will probably work just fine for my hunting (ruffed grouse,ducks, and pheasant) if I pick my shots.I have not had a chance to work with it yet.

I have been offered an nearly new navy Arms S/S 12 gauge at a decent price and was wondering if that second barrel is really better for hunting.

I would appreciate any insight you folks might have.

thanks

AB

Depends, how often do you hope to shoot doubles?? :rotf:

I've got a side by and it's hard to beat the comfort of quick followup shots.

I have had them both and I like the Single Barrel more.

But, if it is at a good price, buy it and see which one you like best. I am sure you could move it if you don't like it.

HH

It probably depends a lot on what you're used to. I grew up shooting double cartridge guns, and no single barrel (including pumps, O/U's and autos) has ever felt "right" to me. I hit better with a SXS as a result, so of course I'd think the double would be a better gun.

YMMV

I think its a matter of need, I hunt with a single barrel flintlock when just out to have fun.
But when I seriously want meat I use my double. I have been in many situations hunting grouse where there are more than one bird and having that second shot has always meant two birds instead of one. Depending on how long you have to hunt and how far you walk.

I had a Navy Arms double before I went into Flintlocks and never like it for 3 reasons:

1) It was way to light...even added a pound of shot in the butt stock and a 3/8" solid stainless steel ramrod under the barrels which helped a little, but it still wasn't as heavy as I wished it was;

2) The barrels were way too short...that and it's lightness made the barrels seem to jerk / point all over the sky compared to longer length barrels which pointed / swung smoother;

3) And I never, ever felt comfortable reloading one barrel knowing that the other barrel was still loaded in spite of taking the precaution of decapping it while reloading...just don't like being over the muzzle of any loaded firearm.

Later sold it and havn't missed it for a minute...currently have 3 single barrel Flint smoothbores...have used them to take deer, crows, doves, squirrels, and turkeys...and haven't ever wished I had a second barrel in any of those circumstances...just my .02 cents

I can't say there is the perfect answer to your question. I have 6 SxS's ml'ing shotguns. I can't even imagine having a single barrel. For some of the reasons the guys who like a single barrel wouldn't have a dbl. barrel. It becomes what you would feel comfortable with.

I have a New Englander and I'd rather have some choke than a second barrel (mine is straight cylinder). By the time you'd get the second hammer cocked the grouse is long gone.

My favorite c.f. is a SXS Ithaca/SKB 200-E 20 ga. If I could find a m/l double that I could afford that swung like her I'd be all over it in a heartbeat. I've tried multiple hammered breechloaders and even they are too much for my addled mind. I need the single auto-trigger or that second barrel is just so much added weight. But I will admit that's probably because I've just never practiced much with double hammered guns.

Back