• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

site adjustment problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggybuilder

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I shoot a .54 Renegade. I have a T/C hunter type peep on the tang. I have replaced the front site with the floresant type T/C bead that is sold on ebay.
The front site appears to be the same heigth as the T/C bead that came with the rifle. I need this type of bead because of my eye problems.
My problem:
I just came back from the range and found my shots are about 12" high and I have no more adjustment left. I was using 70gr. of FFG. The tang peep is mounted by using the 2 screw holes closest to the top of the tang
I was shooting high--so I lowered the rear tang site. Is this correct? I alway adjust the rear site in the direction I want the shot to go.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Yes, you are correct. Lower the rear sight in the direction you want the shot to go. I think you may have the rear sight mounted to forward, or " High " on the tang. That is why its shooting so high. You may not be able to adjust the sight down low enough to bring the groups back down to your POA. Then, you are left with moving the rear sight back, or finding a shorter front sight.

IMHO, you really don't need one of the bright plastic pieces on a front sight if you are shooting a peep sight.

Move a rear sight in the direction you want the
ball to go. Move a front sight in the oppsite direction you want the ball to go.

If you can't lower the rear sight enough to bring the point of inpact down where you wnat
install a Taller front sight,

I agree with ol vern on this one. I have similar problems with some TC's that I have. I have old eyes and have gone to the peep sight and fiber optic to resolve my problems. For me the fiber optic is a must no ifs, ands or buts about that. One thing to alert you about is should you decide at some point you want to set your sight further back on the tang and you decide to have it drilled and tapped, be aware that doing so will void the warranty with TC. What I did with one of my guns is I bought a new tang from TC and had them drill and tap it and this avoided the warranty problem, it cost more but in the long run I came out ahead. Good luck!

There are two types of T/C peep sights like those being discussed. One has a slightly arched base to mount forward on the tang, directly over where the tang bends. The other type has a flat base and is made to be mounted to the rear of the tang, which is straight. The difference is slight, but definitely there.

Perhaps finding one of the flat based type sights and mounting it to the rear of the tang would solve the problem, as one of these sights would automatically be lower, and you might have to adjust it upward to get on target.

I belive these hunter peep sights were intended for us with the square post T/C front sight.

If you have the No. 7194 sight and a Renegade, the directions say to use the rearmost tang hole and drill and tap the forward hole.

Here are the instructions directly off of the
T/C No. 7194 Hunter Style Tang Mount Peep Sight:

"For T/C Hawken, Renegade, Big Boar, White Mtn. Carbine, and Pennsylvania hunter.
WARNING: Never attempt to install a sight on a loaded firearm. Always ensure
that the firearm is UNPRIMED AND UNCHARGED. Failure to heed this warning could
result in an accidental discharge causing injury and/or death to the shooter or
bystanders and damage to Property.
Read the instructions included in this package before attempting to install or use this sight.
Installation of the T/C Tang Peep Sight on Thompson/Center Traditional Cap Lock
or Flint Lock Muzzleloaders:
Hunting Style Tang Peep Sights require the drilling of either one or two additional
holes in the tang for mounting.
For the White Mountain Carbine and Pennsylvania Hunter models, two additional holes
must be drilled and tapped. Place the sight midway between the front and rear tang
screws, then center the sight side to side on the tang. Use a prick punch to mark
the front hole only. Use a #29 drill and an 8-32 tap to thread the hole after it
has been drilled. Once the front screw has been secured, then mark the rear
screw hole; drill and tap.
For other traditional T/C side locks, it will only be necessary to drill and
tap the front hole. The back hole uses the existing rear tang screw found on the rifle.
Once secured with the rear tang screw (and aligned side to side on the tang), mark the
front screw location with a prick punch - use a #29 drill to drill the hole, and a 8-32
thread tap. If you have any questions about this, call the Thompson/Center Service Dept. at (603) 332-2333."

I measured my 54 Renegade and the sight radius for a peep on the tang is about 27". The required change in sight elevation would be .015 to move the point of impact by 1" at 50 yds or .0075 to move 1" at 100 yds.

You did not mention the range you were shooting.

You can correct the current problem by installing a front sight that is .180 higher. Since your peep is now all the way down, I would go at least .250 so you have the ability to make further adjustments.

Back