• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Size Barrels ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so often you will get a barrel marked or documented as, say, 1 in 66 and it will be 1-60 or 1 in 72. most often in my experience this is true with faster twist barrels. i have a couple GM barrels marked 1-48 that are actually 1-36. go figure.
weight wise of course, the larger across the flats should be heavier. but it really depends on the size of the hole .

so often you will get a barrel marked or documented as, say, 1 in 66 and it will be 1-60 or 1 in 72. most often in my experience this is true with faster twist barrels. i have a couple GM barrels marked 1-48 that are actually 1-36. go figure.
weight wise of course, the larger across the flats should be heavier. but it really depends on the size of the hole .
The weight will be as you say a bit more. Then as i was told that the 7/8 " would be the better on woods walks n shooting gongs.

The weight will be as you say a bit more. Then as i was told that the 7/8 " would be the better on woods walks n shooting gongs.

That's probably based on the often true supposition that a heavier barrel will be more accurate. But it's not a sure thing, just generally so. If you look at Coleraine barrels on track of the wolf you can see the weights of the two. Even if not Coleraine barrels, a chunk of steel is what it is.

Barrel, .45 caliber, 13/16" octagon, 42", 1-56" twist, 4.49 lb, crowned, 5/8-18 thread, by Colerain.
Price: $210.00

Barrel, .45 caliber, 7/8" octagon, 42", 1-56" twist, 5.5 lb, crowned, 5/8-18 thread, by Colerain.

That's probably based on the often true supposition that a heavier barrel will be more accurate. But it's not a sure thing, just generally so. If you look at Coleraine barrels on track of the wolf you can see the weights of the two. Even if not Coleraine barrels, a chunk of steel is what it is.

Barrel, .45 caliber, 13/16" octagon, 42", 1-56" twist, 4.49 lb, crowned, 5/8-18 thread, by Colerain.

Barrel, .45 caliber, 7/8" octagon, 42", 1-56" twist, 5.5 lb, crowned, 5/8-18 thread, by Colerain.
Wasn't long ago you could buy a swamped barrel for that much. :rolleyes:

On the 13/16" barrel. My issue has been the "space" if you dovetail in tenons and a front sight, etc. Is there an issue?

Back