• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

skinning a bear

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesthomas

70 Cal.
Reaction score
going to go bear hunting for the first time this oct.in north ga.since i will be by myself i was wondering just how hard it is to skin one out ect.? :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not hard if you have the proper equipment. You need to hang it up, and need a good sharp skinning knife like a buck zipper, which I think is the best skinning knife on the market, and I skin alot of animals every year. If you are going to mount it you need a saw so you can easily cut off the paws and head (leaving them attached to the hide), it can be done with a knife but it's much easier with a saw, and it gives you more options. Dont skin out those parts leave it for the taxidermist as that is where you will hack it up if you don't kow what you are doing. It's really almost as easy as a deer it's just stinkier greasier and the hide oviously requires greater care. Once the hide's off you process the meat like a deer pretty much. Make sure you cool that bear off ASAP after killing it I carry ice with me in the truck to stuff into the chest cavity, if you don't it'll ruin the meat quick.

I also have one very important pointer. When you kill a bear and are ready to drag it out make sure you have some rope. You need to tie a good size sturdy stick to it and thread the other end into the windpipe and out the mouth wedging the stick in the chest sideways. That is the best way to drag it out, there is no good place to grab a bear and if you drag it backwards it will foul up the hide.

thanks,i will have all the knives and gear and ropes.couple of coolers with ice also.bout how long should i expect it to take? i know some of it will depend on how big he is.plus i will be doing the skinning and quartering in the woods.easier for me to get him out that way.

If you have experience skinning other critters it should only take 30 minutes to an hour. Be aware that processing the meat will take longer due to large amounts of fat removal. Bear fat is of low quality for eating but good for making lube.

Be sure & cut on the face, that's where all the real good lean meat is on a bear in the face...

Keep the bear fat for sure for patch lube.

Deffinately keep the fat. It's good waterproofing if added with some beeswax. And like the others said, great patch lube. I heard it was the best for pie crusts, too.

oh yea,roger on keeping the fat!thats one of the reasons i'm going hunting. plus i've always wondered what bear tasted like.the rifle needs a new name too.thanks for ya'lls input!

All these boys gave good ad vice. I don't know if it were mentioned. Ye should kill the bar furst. they aint knowed fur their good humor. Good luck. Aint nothin better than bear chili. cept maby bear steaks er roast or----

yep thats what i plan on. don't think he would stay still other-wise.BTW .50 cal. 70grns of swiss .15 pillow ticking TOW mink oil.everything goes right bear lube from then on.plan on 70yrds or less.

I shot a nice one a couple of weeks ago with a hardened .562 rb and 100 grns. of kik 3f, the ball went right on through smashing all sorts of bone on the way in and out. The shot was less than 30 yards, when I pull my bait tags I'll walk it out. With a .50 I'd be pretty careful about putting the ball through the lungs and heart avoiding as much bone as possible.

thats where i plan on shooting him. of course any iffy shot i'll pass up.rather not shoot than have a chance of just wounding him.if he's close enough and the shot is perfect i might try for a head shot, maybe.

armakiller said:
if he's close enough and the shot is perfect i might try for a head shot, maybe.

If he's close enough and still enough for that, put the ball right at the base of the skull where it joins the neck, especially if face-on, but dandy for side shots and rear shots, too.

If you can't make that shot, lung him and break a shoulder or two while you're at it.

Be aware that when you skin a bear, the carcass (without a head and paws) looks eerily human....

Don't plan on doing it alone. There is no way you can drag out a bear at any weight. If it is a large bear I always use a tarp and skin them on the ground.This way I don't have to hoist them up, have several sharp knives in your pack and a sharpener. If your plans are to make a rug check with you taxidermist first have them show you how to skin out the hide. The arms of a bear twist and I have seen folks cut it wrong . keep in the center so your rug will come out fine.

Back