• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sky Chief Tin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love Sky Chief's load, the only problem is it can be a bit messy when loading from the pouch. I made up a small tin, that started out as a spice container from the craft store. I fire-blued it, put a little artwork on the lid to match a Trade shotgun I have and sealed it in a coat of Truoil gunstock finish. It h
skychief.jpg
skychief1.jpg
vines5.jpg
olds a small handful of wads and the olive oil lube without leaking all over my shot pouch.

I ended up putting the oils soaked wads in a prescription pill jar. The other jar was leaking oil. I also keep a rag in the bag, cause loading those wads gets messy.

Yes it is a bit messy. Instead of soaking the fiber or wool wads in olive oil, I use bees wax and olive oil which keeps the wads from being as messy. Shoots just fine in all my shotguns. The bees wax helps retain the mixture much better than just olive oil alone and really tightens up the patterns in my 3 Pedersoli SXS 20 gauges.

She is just a T/C New Englander that had seen better days. The stock had been stripped and beaten with a chain to "age" it, a grease hole carved into the butt, the butt piece itself removed and a piece of brass added. I sanded a lot of the stock defects and filled the rest, the only option was to paint it, and I went with a Native kind of theme Bumford Fowler styled. The brass thumbpiece hides the former owner's rude graffiti, forever I hope. I also replaced the original butt plate and have painted the leafs green and put a small white dot in the center of each flower. It is a striking piece, rather odd, but it sure stands out in a rack of guns, and shoots very well for a cylinder bore
vines.jpg
vines3.jpg
vines4.jpg
12 gauge.

She is just a T/C New Englander that had seen better days. The stock had been stripped and beaten with a chain to "age" it, a grease hole carved into the butt, the butt piece itself removed and a piece of brass added. I sanded a lot of the stock defects and filled the rest, the only option was to paint it, and I went with a Native kind of theme Bumford Fowler styled. The brass thumbpiece hides the former owner's rude graffiti, forever I hope. I also replaced the original butt plate and have painted the leafs green and put a small white dot in the center of each flower. It is a striking piece, rather odd, but it sure stands out in a rack of guns, and shoots very well for a cylinder boreView attachment 328445View attachment 328446View attachment 328447 12 gauge.
Well I like it. I spend a lot of time in GunBroker and other places like that perusing the black powder section. Odd and unique stuff like that is always what catches my eye. I guess I like unique stuff. If all of us New Englander owners on the forum got together for a shoot you wouldn't have to worry about that one looking like anybody else's. Pretty neat look. I'd shoot it.

Back