• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling for Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Hender

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've started using my .53 Santa Fe Hawken to hunt feral goats in the Flinders ranges which are a rugged mountain range in Southern Australia. It requires plenty of climbing up steep rocky slopes and I need some sort of sling for my Hawken so that I can use all four limbs when needed. Any ideas on what would be best, and is it authentic to use a sling?

Here is what I use. I had a friend of mine make it who owns his own leather business. I had hime make it when I was unable to secure one from another vendor a while back. Hope this helps you.

HawkenBig58069.jpg

HawkenBig58065.jpg

HawkenBig58056.jpg

HawkenBig58053.jpg

rabbit03

That's a nice sling arrangement but have one question....does the sling bbl attachment interfere w/ inserting the ramrod? Have thought long and hard on attaching slings to the "Hawkens" I build and settled on a not so PC but a very practical arrangement. A modern sling stud is made and is riveted to a 1/8" thick toe plate which is then inlet and held w/ 3 screws. The forward sling attachment has a triangular shaped "loop" made from a 1/8" metal coat hanger and is attached by filing a groove in the under rib. The only precaution would be to locate the "loop" so it bears on the RR pipe when the rifle is in a vertical position. A modern sling loop is used at the butt and the leather carrying strap has holes punched for a leather shoelace at the bbl. This arrangement has worked very well on all the "Hawkens" I have built and is easy to remove.....Fred

Not even a little bit PC, but very practical (and removeable), I simply added one of the clamp on sling swivel studs to the ramrod pipe on my GPR. My sling has a conventional swivel at the front and a shotgun-style sling loop at the back. The sling loop closes down on the wrist just behind the rear of the trigger guard. You never know it's there when shooting, but can easily remove it if you want. Best of all, when I'm around folks who have the PC bug and are mouthy about it, I can back out the two cross bolts in the swivel stud and remove it without damage to the gun. Easier than listening to them.

On my Renegade, I have the same type sling as rabbit and the ramrod slides under the loop without a problem.
Now on my GPR, I went the other route. I installed Uncle Mikes swivels and studs. For the rear stud, I removed the front toe plate screw and put the stud there. Front stud I used the type that clamps around the ramrod ferrule. I had to use a longer screw though than the short one that came supplied. Not as PC as the lace up type BUT the Uncle Mikes can be removed with little effort.

I am not sure if this way is PC or not but it looks like the ones they sell which is where I got the idea for mine.

As you can see there is simply a slit cut near the end of the leather strap and then the end is turned inside itself to form the loop. There is a tendency for the leather strap to grip the ramrod on the way out or in but this can be remedied simply by pulling on the end of the leather strap and loosening the loop a bit while you pull or push the ramrod. Then simply give the leather a good tug and it grips the barrel,ramrod and then you go on about your way!

HawkenBig58068.jpg

I also like this set up because you can lengthen and shorten the strap by simply running it up and down the barrel to a new position. The properties of the leather allow it to stay pretty well put and since the loop is formed by turning it inside itself,that makes it tighten the more preasure that is applied to it such as when you sling it over your shoulder.

rabbit03

Forgot to ask an important question of the more Hawken knowledgeable members on this board and this is not a "loaded" question....do any of the original Hawkens display any features or details that a sling was indeed used?.....Fred

Johnboy said:
I've started using my .53 Santa Fe Hawken to hunt feral goats in the Flinders ranges which are a rugged mountain range in Southern Australia. It requires plenty of climbing up steep rocky slopes and I need some sort of sling for my Hawken so that I can use all four limbs when needed. Any ideas on what would be best, and is it authentic to use a sling?
here ya go i had one of these sent over it works a treat its the seventh one down$9.95US dollars.
bernie :thumbsup: [url] http://www.trackofthewolf.com...ries/partList.aspx?catID=1&subID=6&styleID=26[/url]
100_4876.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got that sling for my .50 T/C Hawken, Windwalker. It's actually made in my home state (Oklahoma). While I do like it, I think the leather is a little too thin for long term use. What do you think?

Back