• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sling-less guns & climbing stands???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That question comes up in tha hunter education class I/we teach. One of my students suggested. " since you may be going out before legal shooting hours, leave your gun in its case/sock. Then pull it up in the case letting the case down while hunting." If you happen to drop the gun while hauling it will be protected somewhat by the case. This was suggested by an eleven year old gal. Might not work for everyone, but something to think about even for suppository guns.

Goes without saying,be positive it is unloaded/not capped in B/P. muzzle down,,not pointing up toward you.if you do not have it cased,,keep junk out of the barrel..

My climber is a face the tree type with padded arm rests. I just lay the gun across the arm rests, hold with my thumbs, and climb.

I have 30' of 400 pound, camo, nylon cord. I tie a boline around one wrist, I tie a small overhand loop in the other end, about 18" from the end, the loop goes over the barrel. At the end, I tie about a 3", 1/2" thick twig. The twig goes through the trigger guard. Once in the stand, I lift the gun up, and charge or cap it when I am ready to shoot. Keep yer powder dry......Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure when you are pulling it up, do it butt stock first NOT barrel first. The same when sending it back down. DANNY

I tie a slip knot around the wrist of my UNPRIMED flintlock which also has a toothpick in the vent hole. The cock is in the fired position and my hammer stall is in place. I lean the gun against the tree muzzle down. Once I'm up in the tree, I just pull the gun up. This way the muzzle is pointing away from me.

Just chunk that puppy up inna tree, it'll snag up on something! :wink: :haha: :rotf:

I no longer use climbing stands, but what I did in the past is simply a variation of what I do now with ladders. The pull rope I leave permanently attached to ladders can work with a climber...you have to ensure it doesn't snag and bind up whilst ascending or you'll be banging your gun off the tree! Likewise, your ascent can't be fast or you'll get the gun swinging and risk similarly beating it off the tree. Musts are barrel down and (at least) unprimed. No charge at all would be best, but I have to admit...I rarely do that because I generally still hunt into my stands. I usually just remove the prime and insert a quill in the touch hole. I keep two loops in the bitter end of the line that I slip the muzzle thru. Next I put a clove hitch over the stock that secures the wrist area. This past season I never even disconnected the pull rope in the stand. No obstruction for the sight plane if using thin cordage. Oh, the loops allow me to "suspend" the rifle or smoothie so the muzzle doesn't become obstructed on those snowy or rainy days. Sorry, you won't be able to do this with a climber though. I'd strongly discourage you from any attempt to sling the gun while climbing. Should the unthinkable happen and you fall, you're (at best) going to damage the rifle and (at worst) going to compound your chances of personal injury. Trust me...I jammed a 6 volt flashlight attached to my belt into my ribs once during a 12 foot free fall. :doh: I guess that was what I deserved for being not PC/HC!!!!!

Skychief said:
How do you safely manage getting your gun up to your climbing stand height if it doesn't wear a sling?
Any tips appreciated. :hatsoff:
When I used to hunt out of Loc-On tree stands and Ladder stands I tried it both ways:
Sling and Cased/pullup rope
Quickly opted for the cased/pullup rope to absolutely eliminate any chance for damage to a gun stock raising/lowering it.
Caplocks/then Flintlocks were always charged but I never had them capped or the pans primed until I got them up/took them out of the case, etc.

Back