• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slow weekend hunting...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevthebassman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So I spent Saturday, Sunday, and Monday sitting in the woods with my TC Renegade .54 cal flintlock. I saw a few scrawny does... nothing I wanted to spend the time butchering. You know how it goes.

Anyway, Saturday it was spitting rain and sleet and just overall nasty, but I sat with my flinter anyway. I kept a hat over the lock to keep the rain off it. Monday night when I was sitting on my stand, I got to wondering if my flinter would go off if I pulled the trigger. This is my first year hunting with a flintlock.

I kept it in the truck all weekend to avoid condensation.

After I got off the stand Monday night, I shot my load (that I had loaded Saturday morning) into the fading twilight. Ignition was instantaneous. I sent a nice fireball and a huge cloud of smoke (along with a 224 grain roundball) off into the darkness. Not quite as satisfying as putting a good shot on a big deer, but satisfying nonetheless.

I'm 100% sold on the reliability of a well-tuned and properly maintained flintlock. Many thanks to all who bring us this wonderful forum that has been such a wonderful source of information and so helpful to me.

Back