• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small Game In Colorado??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrmflintlock

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you in Colorado or have ever hunted in Colorado? My Buddy just moved to Colorado And he has a .40 flinter I built for him several years back, and I'm Building a .40 flinter for my nephiew who also lives in Colorado. I live on the Border of CO and NM and we want to get together to do some small Game hunting ASAP !!! Anything will do We love it all. Anyone willing to share a spot with a fellow BP hunter??

Thanks for any help you can give.

I don't know that area, but further north and west we sure got a lot of cottontails and jacks in the sage up until a couple of years ago. I didn't hunt there last year, and from what I heard it's just as well. The plague moved through there and darned near wiped everything out. I haven't done it, but friends who hunt over somewhere around Durango and Cortez have managed some pretty good quail shoots on good years.

I'm way up north, but if you get out and scour the country, you'll find something. A CO Gazeteer would help you find public ground around there, and those are the best places to start looking. Ask at a sporting shop or gun shop, too.

Thanks Guys !!! I'll keep you all posted on what I find.. Grabbed the pouch and .45 on my way out the door this morning hoping to get off of work early and go shoot.. Got a nice dusting of the white stuff.. Well, got off of work and the pouch only has .54 rbs in it !!!! I use the same pouch for 2 rifles.. Unfortunatly by the time i get back to where I can shoot it it will be dark.. Tonight I make a new pouch!!!

jrmflintlock said:
Well, got off of work and the pouch only has .54 rbs in it !!!! I use the same pouch for 2 rifles.. Unfortunatly by the time i get back to where I can shoot it it will be dark.. Tonight I make a new pouch!!!

Whoa! Does that ever have a familiar ring to it!!!! :rotf:

Mike Brines said:
...a bag for every gun. Where did I hear that?

But don't let it stop there! I told my wife I needed a new shotgun to go with the fowler bag I built. And she bought my reasoning!!! :rotf:

After 40+ years of marriage, I'm betting she can see right through me. You think? :grin:

R.M. said:
I'd bet it didn't take all them 40+ years. :haha:

About two minutes flat. Surprisingly she married me anyway! :rotf:

Actually she came pre-conditioned. Her dad owned sporting goods stores and she worked in them, too. She heard more BS by the time she was 12 years old than most women hear in a lifetime. She reads over my shoulder sometimes when I'm on the site (she shoots too, remember), and she gets a real cackle out of some of the things that go on. Sezz she probably met a lot of these folks at one time or another over a gun counter! :grin:

jrmflintlock said:
For those of you in Colorado or have ever hunted in Colorado? My Buddy just moved to Colorado And he has a .40 flinter I built for him several years back, and I'm Building a .40 flinter for my nephiew who also lives in Colorado. I live on the Border of CO and NM and we want to get together to do some small Game hunting ASAP !!! Anything will do We love it all. Anyone willing to share a spot with a fellow BP hunter??

Thanks for any help you can give.

Small game hunting in CO is piss poor at best, we have blue grouse(not in season) marmote(hibernating but damn good eating) and rabbit.
Mostly cotton tail which are on the rebound in my area Jack rabbits to the south and lower elevations and snowshoe hairs that seem to winter the over pop of coyotes pritty well.
I hunt at my place 10,000 ft
and have a healthy pop.
I bang them with a 36 cal blue ridge and spot and stalk(not bunny busting) I glass move slow and hit them before they bust.
There are other game birds that you can hunt into the winter, chuckers and pheasent on game farms(a few over hunted public areas as well) but am not sure of the regs or season on them.
I do enjoy high elevation snowshoes because you get a lot of meat out of them and bunny and dumplings is a damn fine meal.
:hatsoff:

xmasswabbit009.jpg

Great looking DOG there GMB I have a part Lab and part Border Collie best I ever had, did you make those shoes ,oh and whats behind that door? Shifty :hmm:

I could never get my dog to sit there like that with a rabbit inches away.

That's a well trained dog.

Hey,I know what you mean there bout being well trained mine is ,so far she can get me to fetch a ball and to play tug of war with an old britces leg and to bring treats to her, these dogs are just too smart.Shifty :grin:

Funny thing, I've used a couple of our cow dogs (border collies) for pheasant hunts with great success. It's beneath their dignity to chase birds or get feathers in their mouth, but they're great flushers.

One of our herding commands (stay by) lets them course around about 15 feet out. Their constant movement is enough to freeze pheasants, and while they won't retrieve on a bet, they always run to investigate a downed bird.

I call them cowboy bird dogs. :rotf:

Hey my dog is a female and my little grandgaughters named her Ariel,she replaced another female that I raised from a pup she lived 23 yrs ,when I lost her I said I did not ever want another dog ,well the very next wk I found this she was being given away her mother had the same name as my old dog all three dogs looked almost identical I had to bring her home she is so good' she will actually tree squirels and growl to alert me when she smells or sees deer.Shifty

Back