• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Small game with a ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
To small game hunt with a ball. But slow and close!
Sure, I have done this loads of times but not with a .45, well not a .45 for over 20years that is!
I dumped 15grn in the .45 a patch and .440.
Holding the front sight high it struck a little low on the stump and bounced back towards me :doh: oops forgot about that possibility :td:
Next time with 20grn and it was close to my mark with just a little more authority.
I next made it to a favourite stand in an oak and holly patch. The wind was howling and rain threatened but that large oak shielded Tia and me from the worst of it.
One pheasant came in and busted me, no shot.
Near one hour later a squirrel turns up, pop goes the .45 and the squirrel hangs around! I thought I missed so did not send the dog. How ever it soon transpired it was wounded but in the confusion Tia missed it once I did send her and that allowed it to make for a hole and as much as she tried it was in too deep!
Here she is trying to dig it out.

Eventually another pheasant turns up on its way to roost. This ball at around 12yards stopped it in it's tracks.
I am looking forward to dressing the bird to see the damage, a quick glance looks like I should be able to eat right on up to the hole!

Depending on the weather I fancy trying for a rabbit with the same, that will mean traveling a few miles as there is very little around here just now and in the depths of winter.
If it works I will report back.

B.

Britsmoothy said:
I am looking forward to dressing the bird to see the damage, a quick glance looks like I should be able to eat right on up to the hole!
You are shooting the heads off those pheasants, aren't you, Brits? :haha: :haha:

I keep telling you, you are having too much fun.

Spence

I've taken lots of squirrels with a .32 and a .36 and they did the job super well. I've also killed them with .45s and even a .58 - which made a little hole in one side of the neck and a little slit on the other side. All were with prb. I blew a few up with .45s.

I rabbit hunted with a fellow one time who carried a pet ferret in his vest pocket. When the beagles put one in the hole, he'd turn the ferret out and either the chase resumed or the ferret came out with a rabbit. My beagles were a bit confused l, they didn't know whether to run rabbits or ferret. You need a ferret for that squirrel or any other game that makes it to hole. I've retrieved a bunch by cutting a long multi flora rose briar and fishing it down the hole and then twisting. It catches in their pelt and you just pull them out. Works in hollow trees too.

Thanks gents.

Spence, I am just a woods bum.
An old friend use to tell me I do to good a job! Not wanting to sound conceited at all, he meant I was to keen shooting fox on large sporting estates.
He was right, a few gamekeepers over here although delighted at first would soon become sour towards me when they realised I was more passionate for hunting than them, did not suck up to them and did not seek their social company.
This has meant I have lost access to a lot of prime country over the years so yes to your statement on having to much fun, there is oftena cost!

B.

hanshi said:
I've taken lots of squirrels with a .32 and a .36 and they did the job super well. I've also killed them with .45s and even a .58 - which made a little hole in one side of the neck and a little slit on the other side. All were with prb. I blew a few up with .45s.

Yes sir.
I purposely wanted to slow that ball down to avoid damage. Treating it like a bow I guess, sneek close and avoid some damage.
B.

Update and pictures.
It was worth the trip, sneeking up on rabbit as one would with a bow this slow ball is great fun and yes does not mess the meat up at all.
I just see a barrel flat on top of the rear sight and the deed is done!
Missed the first, well got hair, about 12yds.
Second shot was 8yds through briar.

Third shot was also eight yards.

Four hours of stalking bunnies in winter sun and a cold wind, about six stalks in all.
Just 20grns of go powder.
No louder than a .410.
These .45 smoothrifle rock :thumbsup:

B.

Sean Gadhar said:
No fair! Tia looks majestic. My hounds seem to always sniff their bum just as the photo is snapped. :doh:

:rotf:
reminded me of a joke about a collie dragging it's ar....bum along the ground.... :thumbsup:

B.

Brit, You are fortunate to have access to such a place to hunt, and to have such a loyal companion to hunt with you. Well done! I am curious as to the damage done by the PRB on the pheasant. I remember the first wild turkey I shot with a .243 Winchester. I got half a breast and one leg. The whole back side was gone, LOL. Here's hoping the PRB won't tear them up too bad. I used to take my first wife squirrel hunting with me. She was so ugly that she would just stare at the squirrel, and grin, and it would tumble out of the tree. I had to quit taking her though, she was tearing them up too bad.........Robin :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Deputy Dog said:
Brit, You are fortunate to have access to such a place to hunt, and to have such a loyal companion to hunt with you. Well done! I am curious as to the damage done by the PRB on the pheasant. I remember the first wild turkey I shot with a .243 Winchester. I got half a breast and one leg. The whole back side was gone, LOL. Here's hoping the PRB won't tear them up too bad. I used to take my first wife squirrel hunting with me. She was so ugly that she would just stare at the squirrel, and grin, and it would tumble out of the tree. I had to quit taking her though, she was tearing them up too bad.........Robin :wink:

:rotf: :rotf: :applause:
Sir, it only had 20 grains behind it.
A .243 is worlds away by comparison.

B :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
The chest shot rabbit dressed good. Certainly not to much powder.
The exit.

The pheasant got it through the breast meat :(
However, up to the hole is fine!

Britsmoothy said:
Sure do, she actually knows it to and is often cheeky! Sometimes too smart to!! Like most female, often stubborn!

Sure she is! Good ole Sprocket! :wink: :haha:

I've shot snowshoe hares with a .50 Cal TC Hawken using 25 gr of powder behind a 175 gr ball. Damage was minimal.

I now use a .32 cal with 20 gr of powder and the damage is far less than a .22 rimfire. My Traditions Crockett rifle is a tack driver out to 40 yards.

Small game with a BP is challenging, but its amazing how accurate you can be when you know you've only got the one shot.

Latest posts

Back