• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke in the woods today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Protrucker

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I spotted two birds on roost & heard another one gobbling before I even got set up this morning. Slowly, I moved to the closest tree I could set up by after spotting the birds on roost. I sat down with the roosted birds in sight out in front of me & the gobbler to my left. After waiting about 10 minutes after I got set up I started with some soft tree calls. The Tom answered every time, but he was also still on roost. About 15-20 minutes later I heard him fly down. Things were quiet for a few minutes. (they usually land & are quiet to check for danger) Soon he was gobbling again & sounding like he was coming in. I got my gun up on my knees, pointing in his direction. Just a couple minutes later he appeared, coming down a woods road at a trot. He stopped a couple times for a few seconds & then walked right into an opening for me. The ol' New Englander roared! The Tom flopped over & the black powder smoke lingered in the woods till long after the Tom quit thrashing. He is a nice Tom with spurs a full 1" long, but only an 8" beard.
may0401.jpg

Thanks.
I thought about not going this morning because I stayed up too late last night & had a hard time dragging myself out of bed. I finally got up, checked weather.com & forced myself to go. I left the house by about 4:40 & was back home with the bird in hand before 6:30.
I'll be back out there again either tomorrow or Tuesday, trying to fill another tag. I've got three tags left. (1 for NY & 2 for PA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Great bird and congratulations! I have been hunting for 11 straight days now with my new-to-me New Englander hoping for a bird like yours! What load are you using for turkeys, if ya don't mind sharing? Is your gun cylinder bore? Good job, Skychief.

RiverRat said:
I thought you only shot flinters :shake:

I'd like to be able to say that, but I haven't been able to come up with a flint smoothbore yet. There never seems to be enough money or time for everything. :(

Skychief said:
What load are you using for turkeys, if ya don't mind sharing?

I load it with 100gr of FFg Goex, with two natural wads over the powder. Then I pour in 100gr of #5 magnum shot & hold it in with another natural wad.

Skychief said:
Is your gun cylinder bore? Good job, Skychief.

Thanks
If I remember right, the choke tube in mine is a modified choke. I would go take it out to check, but it's loaded & ready for the next bird.

Well done, young fellow! :thumbsup: I hope to make some smoke next season after I finish my 24 guage fowler, but a detached retina is keeping me home this season.

Again, congratulations on a fine bird and thanks for sharing your story. :hatsoff:

I can identify with your not wanting to get up! No matter what time I go to bed the evening before, it's always a struggle for me to make it to the shower, a necessity for me to shake the sleepies. Along about 9:00 a.m. or so when nothing has come in, I often catch a few winks snuggled against the tree where I'm sitting. That usually gets me through the morning. I managed to turkey hunt 10 days this season, taking three gobblers, two of which I took on morning where I almost rolled over and went back to sleep. It's those close calls that keep getting me up when I'd rather just keep on snoozing. Tom (p.s. It carries over to squirrels and deer as well.)

GREAT JOB . NOTHING MORE EXCITING THAN SEEING A BIRD DOWN AFTER THE SMOOOOOKE CLEARS.

Good thing you dragged yourself outta bed!Great hunt!Awsome picture. :thumbsup:

Back