• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoke-poled "Tommy-Three-Toes"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Today was the second day of our Indiana Turkey season. I found myself in the predawn darkness hoping to hear a gobble as the opener was really wet and the Toms were in a bad mood (read:NO gobbling).

I heard a gobbler 1/4 mile away on a neighboring property. As hard as I listened, no other gobblers were heard, so off I went....

I neared the edge of my property and put my dummies out (a jake and two hens) and started calling to him. He answered and answered about 300 yards away. I will swear that he gobbled at least 150 times this morning!

After about an hour of conversing with him, I could hear that he had hens with him. I told myself that if I get a chance it would likely come in a few hours once he had serviced his lady-friends. With this in mind, I took up a different position at the head of a deep holler as a lot of water was running today. I was afraid he would not be willing to cross this water.

Repositioned, I yelped in his direction. He answered heartily. I let him know I was still there every 15 minutes or so for about an hour. Suddenly, he did not answer. I liked when this happened as I knew he was traveling. The question was, toward or away from me......

I got the answer when I spied him and his swinging beard on "my" ridgetop getting closer! I first noticed him at 75 yards and quietly eased the hammer back and settled in for the show.

As he neared to within 30 yards, a jake popped out of nowhere in front of him. The jake came by at a too-close 6 yards from me and I was sweating that he would see a glint of sunlight from my eyeglasses or something similar. He didn't and I kept concentrating on the now strutting and drumming Tom.

As the terrain and cover dictated, he approached to NINE yards away (perfect muzzleloader distance :haha: ) before I had a perfect shot at his neck. I putted once and he lifted his head to recieve a dose of sixes.

After the shot, the jake skeedaddled as well as a hen that I did not even notice that was trailing them. We fed on him for supper tonight, using a new-found recipe that was simple and delicious.

A more perfect day, I cannot even imagine! Thanks for listening and good luck to each and every one of you. :thumbsup:

He weighed in at 22 pounds 3 ounces, had 1 1/16th inch spurs and a beard of 10 3/4" and another 4" long.

Skychief.

PS- If any of you will PT me your email address, I will send a picture or two if you are willing to post them. I would really appreciate the help. :bow:

That's just outstanding Skychief, congratulations !
And its actually not hard to miss at that close of a range if you don't draw a fine bead with the pattern still basically a small shot column.

:hatsoff:

bigbore442001 said:
Excellent job. Out of curiosity, what combination of load, wad and shot did you use on the big bird? Thank you for your reply.

Bigbore, here is what I have used the past 3 seasons successfully.

I should mention that I am using a cylinder bored 12 gauge with a fairly short barrel (28" I think).

80 grains 2f Goex
1 hard card
~50 volumetric grains of cornmeal
1 5/8 ounces of chilled #6 shot
1 overshot card
Then I lube the bore with Mink Oil

This load patterns well enough to take a turkey to 25 yards repeatably (in my opinion).

This years tom was taken at 9 yards. Another was at 20 yards. The 3rd tom was either 14 or 16 yards, can't recall at this moment :idunno: .

Good luck, Skychief.

Thank you for the information. I have two muzzleloading shotguns. One is the TC Black Mountain Magnum caplock which uses musket cap ignition and has a threaded barrel for chokes. The other is a flintlock conversion of a TC New Englander shotgun. It too has been threaded for chokes as well.

The load I used on my bird utilizes a shot cup. In order for me to reload I have to unscrew the choke tube which is a real pain and takes a dreadful amount of time in the field. I was hopin to find a load that would hold a tight pattern without a shot cup.

I will have to try that out in the flintlock with an IC choke installed.

Great story and good loading info as well. :hatsoff: :thumbsup: We have had such wet and cold weather around here I have only seen on gobbler at about 100 yards. He was henned up and not interested in me at all. Our birds have been quiet I think due to the lousy weather. :cursing:
Dusty :wink:

Latest posts

Back