• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smokepole double!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had a great weekend with my new friend, Joe Hollingshad, the owner of Devil's Backbone Wilderness Outfitters near Dora, MO. Joe invited me to hunt on his place with my longbow a couple of weeks ago and learned that I also hunt with a traditional muzzleloader. Not having anyone else to play with, he invited me to come back the second weekend of Missouri's firearms deer season to hunt with a smokepole. We had a great time dressing up in our leathers and telling stories of past hunts. Joe has some very nice bucks on his place but we were both hoping just to get some meat. The weather sucked on Saturday with the mach 4 winds but Sunday morning was prime. Within a couple of hours of daylight we both had does on the ground and Joe's grandson, Levi, killed his first deer ever; a nice 8-pointer. Can't wait to visit with these fine folks again!

Equipment notes: My gun is a 50 caliber flintlock Lancaster longrifle built by my good friend, John Pruitt. Joe's gun is a 54 caliber percussion cap made by a local gunsmith. I made all my leathers and my fine coyote hat was made by my buddy, Brian Peterson.

ZXsQO5b.jpg

z1e4IYN.jpg

qH6e8jb.jpg

Back