• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smokepoles & 'gators

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got no idea where I should post this, so I'll put it here in general and won't be offended if it's moved immediately. :wink:

Where I work I see very large alligators all the time. Big ole impressive beasts. It just got me thinking about the bordermen back in the day. What do y'all think it took to take them down, and is there much evidence that they actually hunted 'gators?

(I used to eat 'gator tail a lot when I lived in N'awlin's*. Gotta believe they did it a lot back then.)

Smoothies, rifles, traps? Very large bore? Very large loads? Just curious about this, so any info would be great. Thanks.

(*New Orleans)

and i would be waaaay behind rc hollering,,'shoot him again'' :grin:

would hope the rc put a harpon in his bore with a rope on it so the gator wouldn't sink and be lost at the shot..

no sense killin if you won't be eatin..

..ttfn..grampa..

Ya just jump outta the canoe and drop a flyin' elbow smash on 'em. Then ya put 'em in a full nelson 'til they give up. :grin:

Shucks most them Gators are pussycats. One well placed small projectile and they'll start a spinnin'& a floppin' till they can't spin & flop no more :thumbsup:

to jethro...."show me!" to Smo, key word here is MOST! i'll jus shoot and say "thar he is boys, go get um!" backstraps? wow!!

I'd imagine that I'd shoot them fair and square with a long barreled shooter... thats fairly close and square in the back :grin:

Although it would be entertaining to see Jethro the gator wrestler... :haha:

Roy take a video of Jethro the wrestler and his gator and send me a copy. :haha:
I seen some guy shoot a big crock of some kind on one of the outdoor shows,shot him in the head with a big riffle. :wink: Rocky

jethro224 said:
Why do ya think gators don't live in Illinois?
They're scairt! :2

:rotf:

As much rain as we've been getting, I've been watching out for 'em. :surrender:

Check your regulations. I want to say that in Florida you have to use a rifle or archery tackle. Maybe I am wrong. I know of a Florida guide who told me they use a 22 -250 and you shoot them in the brain. They have a brain the size of a deck of playing cards.

I'd say any rifle that is accurate enough to hit a deck of cards should do well.

bigbore442001 said:
They have a brain the size of a deck of playing cards.

I'd say any rifle that is accurate enough to hit a deck of cards should do well.
:shocked2: :doh: uh oh! :surrender:

RC said:
bigbore442001 said:

I can hit a deck of playing cards...... but I never planned on being that AWFUL CLOSE to a big gator.

Mountainman56 said:
RC said:
bigbore442001 said:

I can hit a deck of playing cards...... but I never planned on being that AWFUL CLOSE to a big gator.
well the "hangfire" definition may take on a different meaning,bein that close...and playin cards??...if they're on EDGE I'm in trouble! :shocked2: :haha:

You can legally hunt Alligators in SC. But don’t bait them. Call SCDNR for the permit and regulations.

There is little or no dietary (archaeological) evidence of Alligators present in SE North Carolina. Heaven knows there is everything but alligator in the record, historic or otherwise. And I thought people here would eat anything

Back