• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smooth bore salvage?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cordite

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was recently given this old .58 smoothbore. Assume it is a poor reproduction but not sure. No markings at all but a bit of engraving on the lock. Any ideas what this is?

The lock is toast and the triggers and guard are poor but the barrel actually looks pretty good, minor pitting but thick walled. Was thinking about using the barrel as the basis for a neat little smooth rifle converted to flintlock. I love flintlock smoothbores!! What would you do with it?

31584860ow.jpg

[/img]

31584914hn.jpg

[/img]

Yes, one of several cracks. Stock would need major work or replace. The gun looks very cheap which is why I thought it was an import from the 70s. But the barrel looks old but in pretty good shape. Octagon, 1.140 at the breech tapering slightly to 1.070 at the muzzle, 27.5 inches long. I considered it a wall hanger but the more I look at the barrel the more I think it could be the basis for a winter project.

Back