• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smooth cal .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jock scott

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello

I would like to have your opinion about hunting birds with a cal .50 smooth. Do you think it is reasonable ?

I am a beginner and I would like to find a "buck and ball" gun,but I am wondering what is the good caliber compromise.

Thanks for you help.

Jock

I wouldn't have any problem with hunting with one. Heck I even have a .50 smooth barrel up in the rafters. :v

Here in Bavaria we have many of these "Eichelhäher". They belong to the familiy of crowbirds. They have a grey and blue colour and cry like "keck, keck". You can bait them with corn and then shot them with shot. I use my original longgun smoothie with 90 grs WANO PP and 300grs 2.5mmshot.
They give a good soup(stew).

Regards

Kirrmeister

I have had smoothies in .54 thru.72 and have settled on the ,58 for my all around choice but I don't hunt waterfowl or turkeys, if you're going to do a lot of birdshooting a bore larger than .50 would probably be a better choice.

It would compare to a centerfire .410 shotgun.

The .62 (20 gauge) seems to be the popular choice. 12 gauge is also an option.

I agree with Jethro in that a larger caliber might be a better choice if you're looking for a small game rig that could also be loaded with a ball for larger game.

I'm sure a .50 will work if that's what you're sold on, but I think everything may be a little tougher.

My son and I have .56 smoothbores that are okay for squirrels and rabbits, and do very well with a .550 ball for deer. I wouldn't want to use one of these for turkey or waterfowl, however.

Personally, I think .62 is the way to go for a general use smoothbore. Plenty of medicine for turkey or waterfowl, plus they are excellent for squirrel or rabbit. When deer season rolls around, that .600 ball over 80 grains or so of powder will speak with authority.

I love smoothbores. Maybe you SHOULD go with the .50 for now, then you'll have an excuse to buy a second smoothbore later... :grin:

Spot

Hi

Thanks for your answers, I think I will choose the last option I will start with a 50 so I will have an excuse to buy another one later !!!

Jock

Back