• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore deer hunters?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Who will be deer hunting with their smoothies this year? I am going to try my T/C New Englander for the first time this Fall. Can't wait to send a .715 through one. :shocked2:

I'll be using my J Brown 20 ga., as usual. I've taken at least one deer with it every year since I got it in 1997.

Spence

Got my deer last year with my B. Christian 20 ga fowler. :bow: :hatsoff:

I won't be home in time to hunt deer, won't be back where I can hunt till February. But I will dang sure be hunting pigs with a smoothbore when I get home, at least till turkey season opens. :thumbsup: Chris

I might try shooting roundball out of my t/c .56 smoothbore barrel but the only roundballs I have are .535 and .530 and the only patching I have is .016 so this would be a little loose but what do I know. I have no experience with smoothbores.

luie b said:
I might try shooting roundball out of my t/c .56 smoothbore barrel but the only roundballs I have are .535 and .530 and the only patching I have is .016 so this would be a little loose but what do I know. I have no experience with smoothbores.

I suspect the .016" patch will be too loose.
My suggestion would be to order a bag of patches from TOW...the Oxyoke .020" precut/prelubed in .060-.070 caliber diameter...they actually mic .022" and since there are no grooves in your smoothbore, that patch with the .535s should fit / work well in the .560" bore.

my first flintlock deer was shot with a .62cal fusil around 7 yards. It didn't go far.

.58 FDC 44" barrel it is now my only ML and serves all my needs unless I decided to hunt Turkey which I have not done for many years.I wil be hunting in the General Deer season as I did not draw a ML tag this year, but usually I manage to find a Deer anyway.

:thumbsup: I picked up a 56 caliber smoothbore barrel for my T/C White Mountain carbine. Fit perfectly.
Fired the barrel last weekend with both shot and roundball. The shot load I settled on for the time being is 70 grs. of Goex 3F Pinnacle, over powder wad, a lubed wad, #5 shot with an overshot card. It patterned very well and much better than the two loads I had earlier tried.
Shot four roundball loads down the barrel. I used .535 rb's with 70 grs. 3F Goex Pinnacle with an over powder card, next the roundball with a .018 lubed patch. That load shot printed left and approx 1.5" high. The next load I used for three shots the .535 roundball with 70 grs. 3F Pinnacle and a .015 lubed patch, Elevation of shots were very close and printed approx. .75"high. If I can get this rifle/smoothbore centerd I plan on taking it Turkey hunting next week. Two weeks after that modern season for whitetail season opens. Will either use the .56 smoothbore for Deer or go back to my old standby which is a lot lighter. A Thompson Center Seneca in .45, it's my favorite muzzleloader. Good luck to you all.

i'll be out there with my 62 trade gun. i might shoot a deer, but then again i might not. i'm more into bird hunting these days.

I'll be using this one tried and true .62 cal smoothrifle.

DSC03408.jpg

-----if'n deer are like cows--the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence--"JUST GOT HIS HEAD STUCK- SILLY YOU"----- :idunno:

"how'd you get the deer stuck in the wall like that? "

DSC03410-1.jpg

springer spaniel bait LOL

-----Ain't easy but it must of happened--ya got the picture right there to prove it--"A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS"----- :idunno: :idunno:

I have some horns and a mount on the wall, I do usually put them a tad higher thought :idunno:

Back