• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Deer,NOT!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majg1234

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I've taken Squirrel, Rabbit and Turkey with my 20ga smoothbore. So far the wily deer has not fallen to it though I have taken deer with my 40 and 58cal flinters.I was set to change this early this week. It was raining here in SE Tn when I walked to the food plot and got into the blind. On the walk in I made sure to keep the lock under my arm pit, Settled into the blind which has a small overhang and started the wait.

About 1hr later a small Doe (50lbs) came in and started feeding .About 45min later a very large Doe (150+) showed up and headed my way feeding as she walked ever closer. She was about 20yrds from me when I decided to shoot. I leveled the front sight behind her Lt front leg and pulled the trigger.

I was not rewarded as usual with a large shower of sparks and billowing smoke at the pan and muzzle. What I caught in the corner of my eye was a rather anemic spark or two. I was shocked as this lock usually sparks like a July 4th sparkler.

The two Deer stood awhile after the very loud to me Klaaaatch :shocked2: .I thought my primer may have become wet but not so as I was fumbling about to reprime I found my flint very loose!!!! :redface: I guess the Deer saw the movement and left with the notorious white flags a waving. :doh:

I reflected on this a time and realized I'd not gone completely through my ritual that morning of checking the screw on the flint along with the other things I do.I was overly concerned with "keeping my powder dry" and forgot another important Flintlock rule. Flints must be tight :surrender:

I'm sharing my misfortune and embarrassment so that others will be spared this kind of issue.For several years this SB has only failed to fire 2-3 times and always as a result of my inattention. So it was this week.

I'm taking a couple of days off then I'll be taking Miz Maureen back to the woods to redeem her and my reputation @ the hunting club :)

Thanks majg for a good reminder! :thumbsup:

I'm taking my smoothbore flinter out for Bambi this weekend. Rest assured, her rock will be tight in the jaws of her cock.

Keep after them with Mz Maureen and let's hear all about it.

Good hunting, Skychief.

Sorry bout the bad luck. But maybe you'll get another chance real soon. I'm just down the road from you a little piece and about this time ever year I start seeing more bucks chasing the girls. We just had a small front go through and the temps are going to drop and I'm going to the woods ever hour I can this weekend. Good luck to ya!

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger there Kimosabe...bet we've all had that happen at least once when it never should have...the price of being human! :wink: :haha:

Back