• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smoothbore Gobbler - miss on film

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video , what were unscrewing after you shot? Your ramrod. Also something odd about shooting a Flintlock in full camo :cool: :cool: :cool:
It's a Bobby's choked barrel I had him make. I have videos on it.
Yup modern tec on a flintlock and camo. You betcha.
Ive said before to the PC police that if I wanted to do it like they did I'd been hunting well before they came into season and not stop killing them at just one.......ha

I wrestled with the camo thing as well after I had hunted with a flintlock for a while, not for just turkey hunting but deer hunting also.

I used an old Gustomsky 20ga trade gun that shot a terrible pattern unless I used a shot cup, my cups had a way of slugging when I shot at a turkey so I never killed a turkey with the gun.

After I dusted off 6 or 7 birds with no kills, I built a sure enough turkey gun, a 12 ga jug choked English Fowler that would put at least 9 pellets in a turkey target spine at 25 yards.

About the time I finished my fowler our turkey rich lease sold, I hunted ground that was turkey poor, very few birds.

I had already quit camo for deer hunting at this time and found it made no difference so I used the same earth tone plaids and solids and tried turkey hunting. I called in hens to 10ft, one jake to within shooting range but didn't shoot him as well as a nice longbeard that I thought was coming in behind me to the right so I turned that way. He came in to my left and gobbled off my left shoulder at 10 yards. I tried to swing on him but you can't turn on a bird that is 10 yards away and 90 degrees from your gun barrel and stand a chance of getting him.

Then I lost this land, had a hip replacement gone bad that limited my mobility and got too old to chase turkeys in our straight up and down mountainous terrain.

My persona is an ordinary guy in the 40s or 50s, before camo, who has his grandpa's old smoothbore and liked to chase turkeys with it.

My take is to dress anyway you choose, hunting with a flintlock puts you head and shoulders over 99.9% the standard turkey hunters out there shooting electronic sighted guns loaded with TSS shot that will kill a turkey out to 75 yards.

Last edited:
You know.. yesterday..

I had one gobbling down the trail.. I didn't think I thought I needed a little closer to call lol.. he didn't sound that close. Maybe it was another bird there that was... either way

He was fanning the trail.. I didn't recognize him at first till it moved..

I seen him. he saw me.. we seen eachother.

Next time

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I missed a gobbler on Friday when he came in from the wrong side and I had to shoot wrong-handed. I was all set up for a right hand approach and he came in from the left. I had not cleared the brush from the left as I KNEW he was coming in from the right. He won that round.

ADK Bigfoot

I FEEL YOUR PAIN. I missed a gobbler on Friday when he came in from the wrong side and I had to shoot wrong-handed. I was all set up for a right hand approach and he came in from the left. I had not cleared the brush from the left as I KNEW he was coming in from the right. He won that round.

ADK Bigfoot

I've had them do that.. circle around and all... sometimes they gobble for you the whole way

usually if I get a few responses to me not just gobbling randomly.. when they respond to you but then no more..

I usually take it as it is.. he said what's up two three times to me.. when he shuts up I shut up.. usually on his way within the hour.

Lol the big one might only respond a couple times... but when they get to you.. they usually blow your ears out with a good gobble just before you see them.. it's just fun.

I've had nothing just called and nothing.. then your half asleep and gobble.

I think they do it cuz there smarter than I think.. I think they want you to jump. They trying to scare you out when the sneak in like that and fire one off.

Brian, good video and glad you shared it even though you missed. It happens for sure and i’m sure you were pumped up but you had a shot. Better luck next time and don’t miss!

I had 2 birds hammering at about 80 yards out of sight behind some hemlocks. Thought he we go and the Fowler would make smoke. They did come lil closer then i could here hens and then silence. Time ran out but man what a rush…can’t wait till sat!!!

Brian, good video and glad you shared it even though you missed. It happens for sure and i’m sure you were pumped up but you had a shot. Better luck next time and don’t miss!

I had 2 birds hammering at about 80 yards out of sight behind some hemlocks. Thought he we go and the Fowler would make smoke. They did come lil closer then i could here hens and then silence. Time ran out but man what a rush…can’t wait till sat!!!
Go get em!

Back