• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Snap! Yet another swedish snaphaunce rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anders L

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I traded myself a new original snaphaunce gun, this time its a really neat mid 19th C gun, converted från flint. With small modification the gun has been made into a sweet percussionrifle. Its possible that they changed stock, but the barrel and lock i perhaps late 18th C. Its fitted with a birch stock. The caliber is around 8mm, perfect for small game.

The gun is in great working original condition and bears all that interesting workmanship that the rural gunsmiths are famous for. Somewhat crude but effective in its design. This one is like most snaphaunce guns from the northen parts of Sweden, far away from the cities and their proffesional gunsmiths.

p1040645.jpg

p1040654.jpg

Here with a original flintsnaphauce.

p1040649.jpg

Hammer cocked.

Cool! That is a really unique conversion. And a loooong hammer throw! It seems like lock time would be affected with such a long throw - ie, much longer and more likely to cause a flinch.

Thank you for showing off your neat Scandanavian pieces so often, too, it's hard to find much more than American and British pieces (with the occasional French and German guns) on American muzzleloading websites. :hatsoff:

Yes, the hammer travels a long time to ignition. I will probably try to fire this gun. They use to be real precision instruments for shooting birds high up in the trees.

I have seen some really funny conversions, the crudest is when the original flintlock cock is fitted with small hammer in the jaws. Then the rest is just removed, leaving holes and everything.

I like to show things that rarely are shown outside of Scandinavia. :grin: Perhaps it will inspire some of you gunbuilders to try something new.

Anders L said:
I have seen some really funny conversions, the crudest is when the original flintlock cock is fitted with small hammer in the jaws. Then the rest is just removed, leaving holes and everything.

I like to show things that rarely are shown outside of Scandinavia. :grin: Perhaps it will inspire some of you gunbuilders to try something new.
Yes sir, and thank yo for that. It's a pleasure for us to see the guns from your country in good, color photographs. Too often it's just small black & white pictures in older books. These pictures are a real treat! :thumbsup: Must agree with the others that the conversions appear odd to our modern eyes, but some are very fascinating and probably show some blacksmith's best adaptation to the problem. Thank you again for posting these.

Nice. Thanks for putting those pics together. I am a fan of Gustavus Adolphus The Great!

Back