• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

sno seal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdoyka

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i got about a full can of sno seal that i bought years ago. i've been wondering what to do with it(other than leather boots) and i wondered if it take patches? i know that you can use mink oil, but what about beeswax(sno seal)?

😂 😂 😂 thats good!!!! i got 5 or 6oz of the stuff that was made in late 90s!!!!

i got about a full can of sno seal that i bought years ago. i've been wondering what to do with it(other than leather boots) and i wondered if it take patches? i know that you can use mink oil, but what about beeswax(sno seal)?
I use a mix of beeswax and I've oil for my patch lube. Another tip for sno-seal from years ago. To make your leather work gloves last longer before tearing and ripping out coat them with a Liberal bit of sno seal before first use. Seems like it easily makes them last 2 to 5 times longer if you put them on then start rubbing in and let the heat from your hands melt it in.

I use sno-seal on boots and leather gloves, as well as on some other modern leather outdoor gear.
I make and use a patch and wad lube based on beeswax and some sort of fat or oil, neatsfoot oil, coconut oil, olive oil, etc.... I have not found a need to mix real 100% mink oil with wax.
But, given the silicon addition to that basic recipe in sno-seal, I would be hesitant to use it in the bore of my gun.

I'm curious where the information came from about Sno Seal, in the paste form, having silicone in it. Always thought it was beeswax and a light petroleum solvent, which totally evaporates quickly after application. I know they also make a liquid silicone based fabric waterproofer...but that is not what the OP described. MSDS info has no mention of silicone.

I'm curious where the information came from about Sno Seal, in the paste form, having silicone in it. Always thought it was beeswax and a light petroleum solvent, which totally evaporates quickly after application. I know they also make a liquid silicone based fabric waterproofer...but that is not what the OP described. MSDS info has no mention of silicone.

neither do i.

i have 10 roundball patches that are impregnated with sno seal. next time i go to the shop, i will shoot them.

After doing a Google search, it appears there are two Sno-seals. One is straight beeswax with a solvent and the other is a silicone mixture. Either way, I don't want any wax or silicone in my barrels.

I think that Beeswax and tallow have been used in barrels & on
patches for a long time. Also whale oil. Petroleum based
lubricants are recent modern era products. But beeswax would
go back to antiquity in its various forms as would olive oil.

Absolutely nothing wrong with beeswax for muzzleloading and cartridge BP rounds. It is one of the main ingredients in the extremely popular SPG lube and has been used for several centuries along with the rendered fat of just about any large animal . It is also an excellent metal protectant.

I think that Beeswax and tallow have been used in barrels & on
patches for a long time. Also whale oil. Petroleum based
lubricants are recent modern era products. But beeswax would
go back to antiquity in its various forms as would olive oil.
I started out using just olive oil to lube my R.1858, and it really did well. I lubed the internals and cylinder pin with it, and the revolver kept functioning well with it as the round count went up. It's truly good stuff.

I also continued using it in my flintlock pistol. It seems to break up fouling pretty well when I scrub with it, and I use it to clean out the bore of my flintlock between shots.

I'm only curious about how it would work in extremely cold weather, though. It seems to coagulate a little in the fridge when I store it. I should probably throw it in the freezer to see what happens.

Here is the melting point of several common oils/fats. Melting point is basically the same as the freezing point.

1635783961097.png

Back