• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So Far So Good

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Fred

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Sorry no pics :surrender: Since I only hunt the late afternoon it is always dark by the time I get a deer out of the woods.

Anyways, This is my first season hunting with a flintlock and so far I've had no problems. (knocking on wood) I've gotten a doe, spike, fork horn, and a nice fat seven pointer yesterday about 4:30.

I have seen two nice bucks in this area and they are often traveling together, which seems strange during the rut. One is a real rackasaurous and the other is the 7 pointer. I spooked the big one while walking in last night. Or, I should say, he spooked me. :shocked2:

I was walking in the woods road I use to get to my stands. There is a bend in the road and 2 times when I've come around that bend I've spotted the big buck feeding along the edge of the road about 150 yards from me. So, this time I figured I would tiptoe up to the corner, see if he was there and then stay tucked in the edge and wait to see if he'd come closer. I get to the corner and I'm straining to look through the brush to see if I can make out a deer down where he has been before, and, out he steps about 25 yards away from me!

I carry the gun on 1/2 cock while walking, so by the time I'd cocked it and started to ease it up he decided to walk back into the woods. He never crashes away, just tiptoes back into the thicket as quiet as can be. Arrrgghhhhh.

So I continue on my way, climb my tree about 3PM, and about 4:30 here comes jr. from directly behind me on the only trail that I can't really shoot at. I stand up, twist my self around like a corkscrew, and start staring off into the woods seeing if the big buck is with him. Luckily jr. was taking his time so I had ten minutes or so to confirm he was alone. He finally stepped into a spot where I could shoot down onto his spine and I hit him right between the shoulder blades. Nice and quick.

Of course I was way the heck and gone on the farthest corner of the property so I was an hour and a half getting him out. So, the freezer is now full and from here on out I'm going to just sit and wait to see if the big one will come out. :thumbsup:

By the way, these are also the first deer I've shot with a patched ball and, at the ranges I shoot anyways, the .54 has been more than enough. It is very lethal, and yet doesn't cause a whole lot more meat damage than a broadhead.

You're having a good year so far! :thumbsup:
Good luck with the biggun. And remember... they make cameras with flash now. :wink:

keep at it one day he will give you the shot your waitin' for .

cheers

Har har! Yup, last night I almost decided to try and shine the truck lights on him and see what the flash would do. I figured, heck there's plenty of pics of dead deer on the internet at this point. BUT, if I do manage to get that big one before somebody else get's him, he's getting a portrait done!

:haha: Jethro beat me to it, I was going to say thats what a flash is made for!

Grats on a great season Capt! :thumbsup:

You're cooking with gas now! Once folks have seen them in action, it's easy to see that all the gripes about patched balls originate with folks that are selling something else.

Rackasaurus.... I'm going to remember that!

Keep us posted- with pics!

Congrates on the buck :applause: and thanks for the story. I'm heading out in the morning with my .54 for the opening day. Hopefully I can post a story with pictures.

Back