• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So what's your smokepoles history and name?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[

Mine is a Brown Bess and I like it very much, so I named her Bessie Mae Mucho.[/quote]
I like that....very clever! Emery

My Brown Bess Carbine is "Blaster"
My .60 smooth bore with the 48" barrel is Long Tom
My .54 Rifle with the Masonic Emblem in the stock is "Mason Gun"
My two .60 flint smooth bore pistols are Fric and Frac
I haven't come up with a name for my new .60 officers fusil yet but I'm sure it will earn one.

Many Klatch

I named my .54 TN flinter "Long Tall Sally" after the Little Richard song. With a 44" barrel she is both long AND tall. Resting on the buttplate she comes up pretty high. Like the song "she's built real sweet!". :wink:

-Ray

My 6 bore is called " Lil Thunder "
My .75 cal smooth rifle is " Boomer"
I call my .50 cal flinter "Sam" cause he's a not too flashy, but steady kind of fella! :grin:

My .45 Tenn. style is "Soarsa"; pronounced soarsha. It is Irish Gaelic for freedom. Croppy Boy will understand.

Dogman.

Thinkin about the nick name "Bean Flick"

To new to the sport to have a history but plan to after this fall's hunting season!

My 50. TC Hawken/Green Mountain barrelled is a regular at most of the local roundball shoots..Got to know a bunch of guys I have shot with and they all turn when "Thumper" goes off..Being I don't conform with the normal way of shooting steel targets or eggs or whatever happens to be on the business side of her..My gun absolutely loves 110 grains of 2f goex behind a felt wad and tight patch,accuracy really tightens to ragged cloverleafs at 50 yards at that load loosening up at anything below..Needless to say when I shoot her at the line against some 50/80 grain charges she definitley lets you know its been fired LOL..Guys ask me why I shoot a stout load at a lowly egg or metal target..I like hearing the sound a metal target makes as it hits the ground hard after the klang..THUMP. :rotf: ..Ray

-----what does the egg sound like when you hit it with that heavy load----- :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I guess I am not very imaginative, I have sorted it down to two guns. a circa 1730 French hunting gun from the Tulle armoury, which I usually call the "Fusil" when refering to it and a Chambers .62 Virginia smoothrifle maybe circa 1765 give or take a decade depending on who you talk to,and it I call the "smoothrifle" I only really named one ML that I can recall, it was a very poorly done CVA .45 caplock Kentucky kit I got for nothing and re worked it with brass tacks and reshaped the buttstock and removed the nose cap...it was known as the "ugly gun"... for good reason.

When I first moved Texas 10 years ago none of my previous firearms made the move with me so I had to start over. My first black powder aquisition was a well used GPR .50 percussion that had obviously been settin in a corner somewhere for quite sometime. For some reason or other I just started called her Mabel and to date she is the only one of my firearms that ever wound up with a name. She may not be the purdiest gal in the crowd but she shore can dance.

I've named a couple of my guns, but not many. I don't know why, but it only seems appropriate for certain ones...

I have a customized T/C Renegade with a .54 roundball barrel that I shot through a golf club handle offhand at 25 yards with the first two rounds I ever shot out of the gun - that's "Girlfriend." Another .54 Renegade I picked up a few years later looked like she could have been stocked from the same tree - that's "Sister."

My Jackie Brown Carolina Smoothbore is named "Caroline."

I have a custom-built Hawken named "Pappy." Long story there...

That's really about it for named guns, although I have several others that I use a lot, including two TVM's.

In my case, it either strikes me or it doesn't. Not all of my guns will have names, but I do think it's a fun aspect of muzzleloading that so many of us have names for our guns. I've never thought of naming a modern gun...

Spot

That's sorta how I am with mine. Either a name stands out or it doesn't. I have named a few modern ones too, like an XP-100 pistol in .308 named "Tiny". :rotf:

Mine actually is called by two different names!

I named it 'Big 58' for it's big caliber and long barrel. I also named it 'Rusty' after a departed good friend of mine.

rabbit03

HawkenBig58016.jpg

Theoretically, my homebuilt Lancaster is named "Anna," mostly because I liked the name, but also partially inspired by a girl I knew by that name, a tallish thin lass about 15 at the time who was at the transition stage between bony childhood and slender womanhood, and being both pretty and awkward at the same time reminded me of my own handiwork. I have to admit that I rarely call it anything but "my rifle," though. Perhaps when I finish my new one?

My 50cal. St. Louis Hawken is just called "Ole Betsy".
I used to have a baby sitter when I was a youngin and true to her memory when Betsy barked we all listened. She used to have five of us she watched, and five boys could find plenty too get into! :grin: :rotf: :rotf:

Well I shoot a 45 cal Traditions that I made 30 years ago in my living room on my lap. She kicks like a mule and is pretty ugly. So I named her Jenny after the mule my grandfather had on his farm. She bucked me off everytime I tried to ride her and I watched her kick the side of the barn out one day when my grandfather was trying to put a saddle on her. So now I am trying to give her a face lift by refinishing her with some new make up and hair color. I hope she looks more like Jenny from Forrest Gump, I don't want to get to the Jenny McCarthy level yet!

Once I thought about naming one of my rifles after my wife but then I decided "Old Knothead" might be considered to be an insult to my rifle. :grin:

Zonie said:
Once I thought about naming one of my rifles after my wife but then I decided "Old Knothead" might be considered to be an insult to my rifle. :grin:
Ain't even a place I'd wanta go. :haha:

I've had a couple I could have named after my ex-wife though. I sold 'em. :grin:

Spot

Back