• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

So what's your smokepoles history and name?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-----knot head isn't so bad I'd have to call mine HOLLOW HEAD-----[don't let it get out but IT'S TRUE]-----

Hello all, I have just purchased the 54 Lyman Trade Rifle from the classifieds and have already chosen a name for him. Im going to call the rifle "Ole Daniel". There is a bit of a story behind the name. Back in 1988 I was in Army ROTC at Kent State and ran across a character I have never nor army will ever forget. ROTC instructors are typically active duty personnel near the end of their careers. I had the PRIVILEGE and HONOR of having Master Sergeant Daniel Lyman as an instructor. Sgt Lyman was a Special Forces Medic, career Army and Vietnam Veteran. He put in for this assignment to spend more time with his family. I learned during my ROTC career that as an officer you relied on experienced NCO's more than anything. The NCO is the backbone of the US military. My career in the Army Reserves is now over but Ill never forget my time in the military, and the military has made me into the person I am today. Sgt Lyman later left Kent State for the Sergeant Majors Academy and Im sure back to frontline/military insallation duty. Being as that was 20 years ago, I hope he is retired and well. I cant even hear the name of Lyman with regards to muzzleloading without thinking about him and the good times we had while I was in school. To all current and future soldiers I leave one word of advice: heed advice from war veterans for their experience is invaluable and when they are gone, they are gone for good. Thanks to all who are serving and have served this country. ML68

Back