• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Soap/water patch lube?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skychief

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I plan to shoot some this weekend.

I thought I would try a couple drops of Dawn dish soap in several ounces of water for patch lube.

Anybody else tried or use soap and water for patch lube at the range?

Best regards, Skychief

Quite a few of us use Simple Green as patch lube at our shoots. It would be similar to water with Dawn. It's hot and dry here so the water keeps powder fouling soft. GW

Dawn & water makes a good fouling solvent. As a soon-shot load it will likely be better than spit.

But to leave it for hours when hunting and in freezing temperatures . . . ? Maybe not so good.

I don't use any load that won't be used for hunting. And that may include leaving the rifle or fowler loaded for a few days.

Im with stumpkiller :hatsoff: If I dont regularly hunt with it then I dont use it. All my shooting practise is geared towards hunting

I know of several Chunk Gun and Table shooters who use exactly that and get excellent results.
As previously observed, those are competitions where you will be shooting immediately after loading.

Put enough detergent in the water so it feels slick when you rub it between your fingers. Make sure to squeeze out the extra before you load.

Back