• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Some New Gear- a bunch of pics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbwilliams3

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a bunch of veg tanned leather that was left over from previous projects and I needed a new beater shot pouch. I was extra motivated right before we put our house on the market and I new a lot of my stuff would go into temporary storage for a while, so it was now or who knows when. Here's some quick and dirty gear I put together recently. The first image is my shot bag/hunting pouch, the shape of which is based loosely on some 18th century sporting images I've seen. Again, this is an amateur, "quick and dirty" version of my vision of what a 18th century back country Virginian might put together. The 3/4 oz. leather is burnished (though it doesn't show well on my phone camera) and oiled with neatsfoot. I used an iron buckle from Najecki. These are spittin images of buckles dug up all over the place from period sites.
IMG_20160609_212708_854.jpg
[/URL][/img]

My wife bought me this Kyle Willyard knife recently. I made the center seam sheath to go with this hunting set up. It’s a bit thicker than the leather from the shot pouch.

This is a fairly small bag. The inside pocket is, I think, around 5 inches. I debated on whether or not to do a full sized divider. In the end, I’ve preferred my shot pouches with an inside pocket rather than a full divider.

13530408_10102654423611158_717168127_n.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Here’s a small flint wallet and a ball/shot holder. The wallet only holds three flints. I’ve made these quite large and quite small and made them with extra pockets to hold tools. This is just a simple wallet to hold three flints. I’ve made a whole bunch of these shot/ball dispensers in various sizes based on an idea from Mark Baker. I don’t use them for historical demonstrations, but they work great for all practical purposes.

I had just enough leather from this particular hide to make a belt pouch (very loosely based on the Lyman bag). I probably won’t keep this one, but it is pretty handy if you prefer a belt bag. I take no pride in the stitching on this one, I just simply wanted to make it usable. I forgot to take the pic with the belt I made for it. I used one of the iron buckles from Najecki.

13522477_10102654423491398_1073336308_n.jpg
[/URL][/img]

13514508_10102654423486408_449430403_n.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Still have some scraps to make some smaller things”¦

For quick and dirty you did great! That pouch looks remarkably similar to an original on display at Prickett's Fort

I really like your bag, very traditional then I thought, no wonder I like it, it's the twin to one I carry and use the most. About 20 years ago I spent a lot of time studying, what type of bag would be the most common and easy to make for a woodsman 1760-1780, and this was it. Great work on all your stuff. For me probably half or more of the fun of this hobby (obsession) is researching and making the gear.

walks with gun said:
I really like your bag, very traditional then I thought, no wonder I like it, it's the twin to one I carry and use the most. About 20 years ago I spent a lot of time studying, what type of bag would be the most common and easy to make for a woodsman 1760-1780, and this was it. Great work on all your stuff. For me probably half or more of the fun of this hobby (obsession) is researching and making the gear.

I agree!

horner75 said:
Nope! Nope! Nope! ___ Not beat-up and dirty enough! ___ :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :doh:

This one will get there eventually. The bag I just “retired” (gave to my son) has seen better days. It just needs reinforcement on the strap attachments and it’ll be good for a couple more years of hard use.

J.B.

If that is "quick and dirty," where you are not proud of the shapes or stitching, I would like to see examples you are proud of. That stitching looks as good as many or maybe even most amateur leather workers on the frontier would have done.

I know one doesn't usually use an adjective like this for shot pouch accoutrements, but that flint wallet is downright cute.

Did you use a form you made for the belt pouch, that you fashioned after the Lyman pouch?

Gus

Gus,

I just drew out a paper template and outlined it on the leather with a scratch awl, then cut it out with an exacto knife.

James

Back