• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for alcohol-based stains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Robert

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Zonie and others have lauded the merits of alcohol-based wood stains, leading me to want to try them on refinishing a stock. But there is none to be found in this one-horse dorp. Anyone know of a source for alcohol-based stains via phone / mail / internet order? Have a favorite brand or vendor to recommend?

Thanks.

Why couldn't you soak some walnut hulls in some alcohol and use for stain? :hmm:

To get a usable stain with Walnut hulls isn't as easy as it sounds. There's a lot of boiling and soaking and straining etc envolved and, truth be known, Walnut hulls are about as common as snowballs in July for folks living in Arizona.

AZ Robert: If you didn't live so far out in the middle of no where you would'nt have a problem.
Seening as you do though, you might try the Laurel Mountain stains. TOTW has them
I'm not sure if these are really alcohol based or not. They carry a thinner for them called Antique Wood Stain Reducer.
I guess the only thing that bothers me is TOTW says the stains can be mixed directly into the LM Permalyn finishes and from first hand experiance, I can say Permalyn is Not alcohol based.

I've had good results with SolarLux stains. Here is a site you might look at:
WOODCRAFT

I have had good luck with the American Walnut and the Brown Maple. The Medium Brown Mahogany has a LOT of red in it.
This stuff comes in a 16 ounce bottle so the price isn't too bad when you consider how much you get.

Zonie :)

I like the Laurel Mountain Forge stains. I've used the cherry stain. As an experiment, I tried wiping the dark stained stock with an alcohol soaked rag. I was able to lighten the stain doing this. After I got the right color I wanted, I finished it up with tru-oil. Worked great as experiments go. :hatsoff:

I have use Dangler stains for years & have had wonderful success with it. It will blend so well. I put a coat on a rifle & it shows any places I missed scraping or sanding, sand them down, touch it up, rub it with some 0000 steel wood, & you cannot tell I ever sanded there, just a wonderfully forgiving stain. You can get it at most o the ML suppliers & Jim Klein also sell it, it is $ or $4.50 a bottle.

The LMF stains are alcohol based. I've used them after cutting them 100% with denatured alcohol.

I used Danglers' on my last rifle and it worked better than anything else I've ever used.

Homer Dangler's stains sound interesting....MBS has 3 colors advertised and was wondering if you have a favorite. I normally like a darker color but then it's hard to get the curl contrast. One of the stains is described as more red....any experience w/ this stain? Thanks for any info.....Fred

I really like Homer's stains. I like a little red in my stocks so I start with the red stain. Then I use the brown until the stock is black. Mrs. Homer told me to take it out in the sunlight to see if I like the color. Inside under artificial light its not possible to see the color. Once you have it really dark then start with the finish. I use Birchwood casey tru-oil. I put it on with a 2x2 cleaning patch then polish the wood with a small piece of scotch brite pad. The stain comes off the harder part of the curl and stays in the edge grain part of the curl. Makes a beautiful stock.
Pete

Will have to buy some Dangler stains. How does the rubbing w/ a "Scotchbrite" pad treat extensive relief carving?.....Fred

I've used behlens solar-lux stains for over thirty
years,and my father thirty years before that.
good stuff.Woodcraft does have it.They too make a reducer, but I never used it.

Latest posts

Back