• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

South Carolina report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueridger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Our muzzleloader season starts on October 1. I got in my tree well before light with my 50 cal. Jim Chambers Early York flintlock, but didn't see anything until 8:45, when a large doe appeared a about 100 yards from me. I fired, and when the smoke cleared and I searched the area, it was a clean miss apparently.

Three days later I believe I shot the same doe with a Thompson Encore, it literally walked under my stand. I brought the Encore thinking it would appear in the same place as before. Later, I killed a buck and doe together with my rifle at a different place. Then I started hunting with the flintlock again. Yesterday I decided to try to hunt an hour or so before work. I took out the York again and got in my stand. Immediately after first light a four pointer made his way to within 30 yards of me and stood broadside for 3 minutes. I had to let him walk as our club rules only allow 8 point bucks on that land. A few minutes after he left, a much larger buck appeared about 50 yards away. I still held my fire, not being sure if it was an 8 point or not. He eventually walked away too, as I just wasn't sure. Next, three big does came in the opposite direction, but were about 70 yards out and walking fast. I didn't feel confident about shooting, so I let them walk too. After that it was time for work. I had a great hunt, even though I didn't shoot. I have until Jan 1, and I'll probably hunt w/ the York until then. We are allowed ten deer a year in Chester County. There seem to be lots of deer this year.

Swamp Rat: I've hunted about 12 times this year, 10 times with the York. Each year I'm hunting more and more with it. It's just the planets aligned when I didn't have it. I was kicking myself when that deer walked under my stand for not taking it that day. The rut is in full swing here, and I'll be back out there Saturday with it.

Back