• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

southern build questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldarmy

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am working on a southern/tenn style rifle.
Just about ready to inlet the trigger guard.
This is the first tenn style I have build,
Is the trigger guard and side plate on this style mounted flush with the stock, or left a little 1/3 bold like a classic longrifle?
The furniture is steel, has a 38" swamped .50 colerain barrel, just plain wood.. all I could afford this time around.
Going to stain it DARK.
Also any thoughts about polishing the metal to a VERY BRIGHT finish, vrs browning it all.
If I stain DARK and then brown all the furniture, it's going to a Dark rifle, if I polish the metal, you will get a nice contrast.
Regards
Mike

OldArmy -

I have a Tennessee style rifle that has a dark stained maple stock and browned iron furniture. I thought that the attached photos might help you visualize the look.

dsc_0112.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

MIke : Is this going to be just a range gun, or are you going to want to use it hunting?

If you intend to hunt with it, bright metal is going to reflect sunlight, and alert game animals, and other critters in the woods, who are not used to bright lights flashing on them. They give out alarm calls, that in turn spook every other animal in the woods.

That is the reason to brown or darken the metal parts on a gun. You could used tape over the parts when you go hunting, so that you can leave the metal bright for the range, and parades or whatever, but that seems like a lot of work to do every time you go hunting. I know guys who spend big dollars on Camo-tape to wrap their barrels and stocks. I figure they are trying to lose those guns in the leaves when they go to take a dump, and can't find their gun when they return. But, maybe they can afford to buy another gun every year.

It's going to be a range gun,however I have decided to brown it.
Is the trigger guard in the pic flush mounted??
I am in the process of installing the trigger guard now...
Will send some pics along shortly.. but it is a "work in process"

The last southern mountain rifle I made, I left about 1/3 the thickness of the triggerguard exposed, then rounded it off a little, to where less than an 1/8 inch was comming out of the stock at a 90 degree angle. I also browned all metal parts except for the lock. I polished it bright. I thought the bright lock really gave it a nice look. As for hunting with it, That brightness will fade after a couple times to the range.
Brian

One thing I really like about the southern
mountain rifles is that there are no hard and
fast rules as to style. I am working on my 2nd
southernrifle build using TOW parts. I'm making
my triggerguard out of 14ga steel and some scrap
pieces of brass. I will also make my own ramrod
pipes out of some scrap steel. The buttplate will
be purchased since this is a little beyond my
ability for now (or forever). I like to inlet the
lock and sideplates flush but this is just my
opinion. I'm lazy and flush just seems easier.
There is a website called southern mountain rifles
that has great photos of original and new made
guns. Good luck. :thumbsup:

This Tennessee is totally iron mounted with all furniture browned.
I installed the triggerguard and sideplate flush with the adjacent surfaces because to me, it gives the gun a more "finished" look.
ten2.jpg
[/img]
zonie

thanks Zonie,
Nice rifle by the way.. :bow:
I am going to mount the trigger guard and side place flush to the wood.
I can't tell from the photos, but is the TG pined in the front and back also?
I was going to pin this one.

"...is the TG pined in the front and back also?..."
--------------------------------------
No, the trigger guard has two screws holding it to the stock.
One of the screws is about 1/2 inch ahead of the bow (or, about 1 7/8 behind the front of the forward tang) and the other is located about 1 1/8 inch behind the vertical rear flange which makes it about centered to the 2 3/4 long rear tang.

It's my understanding that this sort of attachment was common to the Tennessee Rifle.

This Walnut stock was purchased from Pecatonica River and of all the stocks I've received from them, this one made me the least happy.
You might notice that the grain thru the wrist is running parallel with the barrel rather than parallel with the wrist as it should be.
The only saving grace is that the barrel tang is over 6 1/2 inches long, running down the wrist to the point where the front of the comb blends into the wrist and the trigger plate is 5 1/4 inches long ending right where the TG rear flange starts, so both the upper and lower areas of the wrist are completely reinforced by these steel parts (much like the Hawken Rifles).

The rear barrel tang screw by the way goes from the rear of the tang, thru the stock and screws into the rear of the trigger plate about 1/2 inch from its end. I think you can see this rear screw in the upper right hand picture.
Both trigger guard screws are visible in the lower right hand picture.
ten3.jpg
[/img]
zonie :)

I think the question of whether to mount the furniture flush or proud is somewhat a function of the design of the furniture. If you have relatively simple Tennessee style side plates then by all means flush. But if you have a sideplate more like a Virginia rifle and it has some bevels on it then by all means proud. Same for the Trigger guard.

The lock, most definitely should stand out a little. Most locks have a bevel around the edge and they just don't look right mounted flush. Plus it makes the whole gun too thick in the lock region.

Think thin.... 1/16th inch forestock. There shouldn't be any flat spot on the forestock next to the barrel. It should be worked down to a knife edge all the way back to the lock panels. Turst me...if you think its thin enough it probably isn't and when you stain it it seems to grow to about twice the size you thought it was....

Browning was common on rifles after about 1800--which is correct for a Tennessee gun. People also liked their guns bright but remember you can easily overfinish the metal...we are talking 19th century folk art here. Not a British Brown Bess made in London and maintained by the Kings Armorers.

thanks for all the info.
I have a good idea about how to finish her.
I will post pics when I am done with her.
This isn't my first rifle build, just the first one of this style.
This one has a swamped barrel that should have a nice flare around the wrist,If I get it right.
REGARDS
Mike

Back